1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just ordered my first USGI 1911A1, It is a Remington Rand 1911A1, in "Mint" condition according to the dealer and all is matching and correct. It was made in 1943, I thought it would go well with my 1943 manufactered M1 carbine. Anyway, I talked the dealer down to $700 to include shipping. Did I do O.K.? I can't wait for it to get here, the dealer is taking his time shipping though and I am starting to get [email protected]!!. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Well let me know what you guys think.

------------------
If you run you will just die tired.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Sounds like you did good to me. Where did you get it from? I have a '43 also, a Colt 1911A1.

Whoo Hoo!! Post 100 baby! Gawd I'm so easily amused now that I'm single! Thats sad, I'm going to go pet my .45s now.

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

[This message has been edited by M1991A1 (edited 05-09-2001).]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found it on Gunsamerica.com, the dealer is Armtech international inc. out of Illinios.

------------------

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I was wondering because I got ahold of an old friend today that I haven't seen in awhile. He loves the 1911 but has never had one. He saw my '43 and fell in love. He knows all about the different 1911s but really wants an older WWII era one because of the history. He's seen and shot my newer Colts, Springfields, and Kimbers among others over the years, but still wants an old G.I. pistol. Can't say I blame him really!

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sounds like you got a heck of deal. Post a pic of her once she arrives. Remember if you bought it through a GA dealer he has to give you a 3 day return period.
Congrats!

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
I believe Armtech sells restored military guns. That means your Remington Rand will likely be refinished and have a new barrel. That still isn't bad becuase I'd rather have a "Remanufactured Rand" than a new Colt M1991A1. When you get it, tell me the serial number and what markings are on the barrel. Also, if you're not sure about the finish take a magnifying glass and look at the inspector's markings very closely, such as the "FJA" mark behind the trigger and in the Ordinance stamp at the rear of the frame. These were struck after the finish was applied so there will be a loss or abrasion of finish inside the letters showing up as white or burnished metal. It will be very slight, so again you'll need a magnifier.

The reason why I say all this is because a truly mint, all-original Remington-Rand typically goes for around $1,100 or so.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dsk, the dealer said that it has not been reworked and is all original and in mint condition.

------------------

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will post a picture when she gets here.

------------------

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dsk, I forgot to mention that the dealer said he bought it from an old guy that has had it in his collection for the last 40 some years and has never fired it. He said the old guy brought in a collection of guns and sold them to him. So hopefully this is all original as advertised.

------------------

·
Registered
12 Posts
I saw that RR on gunsamerica, too. I almost whipped out my credit card and bought it. But I already have a 1943 RR, which I purchased for $780.00 and isn't in as good condition as your description. As long as parts are matching, you got a great deal.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Just do the checks on the finish like I described. As long as it checks out you can feel confident it's a steal. BTW the barrel should either be stamped with HS on the lower lug, or possibly Colt or SP if the S/N is early enough.

BTW I might add that I really like my own '45 Remington Rand. It's not the most accurate gun I own, nor the prettiest (condition is about 90%). But it is also the one I carry all over the place, and the one that whets my appetite to shoot GI .45s without touching my nicer ones. Photos are posted on my Website. It's the one that looks like it was cut out of a slab of steel using a coarse-tooth bandsaw. Bee-YOU-tee-ful!

http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 05-10-2001).]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got her today and she is as advertised. It was made in 1945, I had originally thought it was made in 1943. Everything is correct and original. I inspected the finish as dsk said and it is original. The gun is in excellent shape I'd give it 97% with a few small rub marks on the slide from a holster. I have to go out of town tomorrow morning, I will be gone for a week and when I get back I will post a picture if I can figure out how.

------------------

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
So do you like it? You never said what your opinion was. I always like an oldie. Even though it probably sat for sale a long time. I am always happy eventually. As soon as the inspections are complete. I have fired it and, everyone here says good job Redzone. Whoever that is, oh yeah its me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts