1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me they clean up better but is there a down side of use? Like shorter life?
From my plating back ground the norm is copper,nickle,chrome not brass,nickle:confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
my experience is that you only get about half the reloads out of them before they split the case mouth.
i won't pay for them, but if i got em, i use em till they split.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I had some Federal nickel 45 acp's that had over 20 loads on them. yes some of them were splitting. I have some Starline nickel 45 acp's and these have over 10 loads on them without one being lost to spiltting but just plain lost. nickel cases hide real well in the grass. personally I think they feed just a little better but my favorite factory loads don't come in nickel,

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was given about 1000 nickel .45 acp. Considering they were free, I will use them for as long as they last and be happy.

They I go back to brass.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As noted by others, nickel plated brass seems to develop splits more quickly than standard fare brass. It is, however, more resistant to tarnishing or corrosion, so it makes good cases for hunting and defense ammo.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I bought them once but never again..... They are easer to find in the grass and clean... The drawbacks are you wont get nearly as many loads out of them, as nickel seems to be more brittle.. The ones I had were loaded moderatly and the case's started to split after 2 or 3 loadings... After the 2nd loading I was really scared to load any full power rounds with them....Just because the split cases where happining so often!!!!

My advice is to stick with regular brass. Only use Nickel if its free and load it lightly... Keep a sharp eye out for cracks.. Last thing you want is an explosion because of crap brass...

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
SPlits that occur the normal 50-60% of the case length will not cause any sort of explosion, as the chamber contains the pressure. Just toss them once you discover the split.

The brass splitting during the feed cycle, however, causes setbacks and associated stoppages that will cost you a match! (I had two apparently older cases split, one each in back to back mags during a single stage...not fun)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I like nickel plated cases cause they're purdy.

A few months ago, I had a nickel .38 SPC case split on the FIRST firing.
A moderate target load. I stared at it in disbelief for awhile.

Joe

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
They are pretty and easy to find in sunlight on grave/dirt, but 3-4 times more likely to split early with fewer reloadings; quite a few have reported nickel cases splittng on the first firing, hardly conducive to the budgetary csnstraints of the true 'CRB' (Cheap Reloading Bas----) lifestyle!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Guess I'm a brass loyalist. I will shoot/reload nickle only if I find them at the range, otherwise, I only use brass.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I've got nickel cases where the nickel has just about worn off and I'm still shooting them.

I won't go out of my way to buy them but I'll sure use them if I pick them up.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have not found problems, but they do not last as long as brass. I also have a lot of Speer cases that are silver color, but evidently not nickel plated. They last forever. Not sure what the coating is.

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts