1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt Commander xs. ( I found it at a show and bought it brand new in the box because of you guys) I had a tigger job performed and it does come with the screw to adjust it . I have not turned it for concern of messing up something. Which way of turning it causes what to happen?

· Registered
3,003 Posts
It's an overtravel adjust screw. Cranking it in (CW) reduces the distance that the trigger can move back. Eventually, it gets to the point where the hammer won't fall. Before that, it goes through a region where the hammer spring is strong enough to force it to fall and it tears up the sear nose as it drags past.

The way to properly adjust it is to take the slide off, remove the mainspring housing and turn the screw in VERY slowly. After each change, pull the trigger all the way back and use your thimb to gently move the hammer from "cocked" to "down". If you feel it touching the sear, back the screw out far enough that the hammer can move freely past the sear when the trigger is pulled all the way in.

· Registered
334 Posts
jeremiah said:
I have a Colt Commander xs. ( I found it at a show and bought it brand new in the box because of you guys) I had a tigger job performed and it does come with the screw to adjust it . I have not turned it for concern of messing up something. Which way of turning it causes what to happen?
If the trigger is still not to your liking, bring it to a gunsmith. Tinkering with the trigger yourself could lead to further problems. You didn't say if this was to be a primary carry gun, but if it is I would STRONGLY reccomend that you do not attempt anything like this yourself.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
www.wa-protective.com

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I appreciate the help. I have decieded not to mess with it as of now it is working great and I dont need to cause myself anymore excitement;) I enjoy reading here and have become quite fond of the 1911 pattern. I wish I had found this place sooner before I got rid of some that made several to the factory.:mad: But that is a story for a later date.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.