1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am refering to the scratch that occurs when you put the slide stop back in after field stripping. Is there anyway to avoid this or is it going to happen no matter what after field stripping and reassembling a 1911 a few times? I've seen some 1911 pics on here that don't have this little blemmish on them so I guess there is a way to do this,I will be getting a NRM colt 1991 and I really don't want this to happen on it thanks for any info guys.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
The trick is to push the slide stop UP and in at the same time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Plastic business card works

Just place it between the plunger and the lever then push the lever stright into the slide.
A regular credit card also works but the business card is very flexible and seems to work better

·
Registered
134 Posts
I find it helpful to put the gun on a soft surface like a towel as you normally would anyway, and with both hands, exert inward and slightly upward pressure on the slide release to where it doesn't "slip" and hit the surface of the frame, but instead it depresses the plunger and goes where it should. Sometimes I may even wipe the end of the slide release with a slightly oil moistened patch to help ease the metal to metal friction between the SL and the end of the plunger.

Be patient, as one slip can cause a scratch or mark on the blued surface of the frame.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Business cards work great, small post its. Any type of thin paper will work. Practice the up and over technique while using the busniess cards and you'll get it in no time.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Keep a finger under the slide stop hole to guide it in & keep it from slipping down as you push it in. Hard to describe but pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Use the flat end of a toothpick or Q-tip stick to depress the plunger while pushing up and in. Keep a finger north of the notch in case you slip.

·
Administrator
73,822 Posts
Insert slide stop pin partway until it is nearly flush with the pistol. Then rapidly twist it back and forth, carving a deep groove in both the slide and frame.

Trust me, once the damage has been done it'll somehow miraculously never happen again. It's sort of like a new car; after it receives that first scratch or ding (days after you bought it) it takes years before it receives another. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts