1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I check the Extractor tension?
Is there a write-up somewhere? I would be interested in trying that.

Here is a very bad picture of what the gun is doing. The extractor is not letting go, and it takes dropping the mag, and cycling the slide one or more times.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is this a new pistol? when it does eject how does it throw the brass? Pull the slide off the frame, slide a loaded round from the bottom up behind the hook, the round should hang by itself. If it takes a stiff push to get it up in there. Hold it up to the light to make sure there is a little space between rear of hook . if all this looks good maybe the ejector is a bit too short.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is a new gun

I will give that a try, though it sorta sounds like it is going to have to go back to SA. When it does eject ok, it shoots the brass at about a 30 degree angle from the gun, so I am thinking that is ok.

Joe

·
Registered
81 Posts
With slide off the gun do what 1911roben said. Slide an empty round from the bottom up the breach face. The case should slide up behind the extractor hook with little effort. There should be just enough pressure to hold the empty case. If it requires a lot of pressure to push the case up behind the extractor hook or to push it back out then the extractor needs to be bent out just enough to hold the case but no more. If that can't be done you need a new extractor.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Out of curiosity which model is this? WWII perhaps?

Are you only having problems manually ejecting rounds?

I'll answer in advance in case I'm not on after you reply. My IP has been screwwy lately.

If your gun fails to manually eject(like mine did) then you will need more tension. What happened to mine(WWII) was the case would rise up high enough that the round slid over the ejector rather than being 'kicked' out of the ejection port. More extractor tension will hold the round in place better so the casing gets tagged by the ejector instead of tying up the gun.

Why does the gun eject okay with the mag taken out? Because there is no next round pushing that case up out of reach of the ejector.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Sending the gun back to SA just to adjust extractor tension is like shipping your Mercedes Benz back to the factory in Germany 'cause the windshield wiper blade came off. It's unduly expensive and inconvenient for fixing such a simple problem! (Even if SA pays shipping both ways, you'd be deprived of the gun for at least a week.)

ANY competent 'smith can do this for you locally, and it would be easy to learn to do it yourself. The Weigand shims plus a trigger pull gauge will allow you to measure actual poundage, or the "ballpark" methods described above are perfectly adequate, since there's no magic to it. The extractor tension has to be high enough to actually reliably grab the case rim for extraction, and not so tight that it interferes with ejection or feeding of the next round. There's a lot of leeway built in there!
There are several ways of bending the extractor, from special tools (Weigand again) to using pliers or even using the gun itself as a lever by placing the extractor part way down its hole in the slide and applying sideways pressure.

The extractor tension testing shims can be had directly from Weigand's or from Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16125&title=EXTRACTOR+TENSION+GAUGE+SET

1 - 6 of 6 Posts