1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1911A1 Mark IV series 80. Everything is stock except for the hammer/sear/trigger.
I've only tried feeding gold dot's so far.
About 1 in 20 fails to feed.
I've switched to wilson mags, which I assume will probably help (or at least not hurt)...but what is the real next step for feeding reliability with hollowpoints.

thanks,
bfm

------------------
the only thing to fear is fearlessness

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
If it's not the mags, then the feed ramp probably needs a little adjustment. Any decent gunsmith should know by now how to properly throat a 1911.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Remington has the hollow points that most follow the ogive of FMJ's, the new Hydra-shocks have a ogive that is close to "ball".

------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of GOD, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
126 Posts
You have broken-in the gun with 200 rounds of 230 grain factory ball ammo, haven't you?

Once the gun fires 200 rounds of ball, in a row, without malfunction, I would start shooting defense ammo thru it.

My Colt Government model and Combat Commander are 100% reliable with Federal 230 grain Hydrashocks and 7 round Wilson magazines.

Good luck, and let us know what happens next time out.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
If it won't do it on its' own...Don't feed it dessert...

"How can you have yer' pudding if ya' won't eat yer' meat?"

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check the feed ramp for a 1/32 gap for proper feeding, also the barrel if it is not properly throated you can have problems. After cleaning I was take my Dremel and polish the ramp and barrel to a mirror finish. Hopes this helps

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Great advice from the gang above, but I'll offer something a little simpler as well.....try another brand of ammo. One size does NOT fit all!!!

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Lawdog is talking about the gap that should be between the top of the feed ramp and where the barrel starts on the frame with the slide back.

there are so many factors that can lead to a gun not feeding.

top of the chamber inside is rough and the bullet does not slide across it.
Top of the barrel Throat is too pointy or too narrow to allow the bullet to roll over into the chamber.
Chamber is too short inside or the throat is too small.
The feed ramp is too short and the bullet does not get up on the ramp insteas staying down inside the frame.
The firing pin hole is too sharp and the rim catches inside the hole when sliding up the bolt face.
Bolt face is too rough and not allow the round to slide up wile the nose of the bullet rolls into the chamber
Extractor tension is too tight and not letting the rim push it out of the way keeping the rim from sliding up the bolt face.
Bottom of the extractor is too sharp and digs into the rim of the case.
Extractor to bolt face is too close and the rim can slide underneath the hook.
Bad magazines or letting the bullet release too late (most new mags are not an issue)
Mag springs.
Extractor turning and blocking the rim from coming up the bolt face.

There is a big difference between a polish and throat and a reliability job.
geo ><>

sometimes it is amazing they work at all

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by Jim V:
Remington has the hollow points that most follow the ogive of FMJ's, the new Hydra-shocks have a ogive that is close to "ball".

I use Remm. Golden sabres for exactly this reason.I've also experienced trouble feeding with Gold Dots and Cor-Bons in particular.If You must use these two types of hollow points I suggest You take it to a Gunsmith and get it throated.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I would ask specifically for a reliability job...There will be a much better chance of having the "problem" addressed if there is one...Send it to George!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts