1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kimber Classic Custom II. There is a little creep before the trigger breaks, and I would like to eliminate that completey. Should I be looking into a sear, disconnector, a trigger, or all three? Also, I wouldn't mind if the trigger was just a little lighter.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Taking some poundage off of a 1911 trigger is an easy exercise--but it's NOT something a beginner should do without lots and lots of careful study, and possibly even some hands-on instruction by someone who knows EXACTLY what they're doing.

Too many things can go really south once a person starts digging on sears and engagement surfaces. One or two really aggressive strokes with a stone can destroy the heat treatment, and the sear or hammer or other part will be ruined, and possibly even unsafe.

Also, a good trigger involves some careful work on a lot more than just the sear and hammer. You also have to work on:

Trigger bow and shoe--internal and external surfaces, and proper fit,
Hammer sides,
Fit of sear to the lower receiver,
Fit of hammer to the same,
Installation of properly sized pins for sear and hammer,
Polish of the disconnector,
Adjustment of engagement surfaces,
Polish and clean-up of the mainspring housing internals and cap, and
Installation of properly adjusted and tensioned springs.

Again, while this all can be done fairly easily--as long as you pay attention to detail and go slow--it's NOT a job for a casual beginner.

Suggestion:

Buy and read Kuhnhausen's excellent shop manual on the 1911 pistol, consultation of exploded diagrams to learn the proper positioning of the parts of the pistol, study the function of the pistol upon operation, and some good conversation with someone who is experienced in such matters.

This is not meant to put you off track; rather, to impress that this is not a job to be taken lightly. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.