1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kimber rimfire target and one of the annoying things about it (the only annoying thing) is that the slide does not lock open after the last shot. So, unless you're counting shots it means a dryfire for every mag through the gun which can't be good.

Is there any way to modify the plastic or ciener mags to make the slide stay open? I'm assuming this is a function of the magazine design ? Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The reason I"ve always heard was that the steel slide stop will batter the aluminum slide if it's used.

The Jarvis conversions with the steel slide use the stop, I think the old Colt Ace ones do also.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Wintermute is right on both counts...the Marvel conversion also has the alloy slide and the ledge on their followers has been removed so it will not activate a slide stop and batter the slide notch area.
I'm not familiar with the Ciener's slide face, but I did a little modification to a Pardini .22 follower that now locks the slide back and it's been working for about 5 years. Don't know if it would be possible on anything else, but I suspect it might.

Bob

·
Registered
264 Posts
ping, this doesn't exactly answer your question, but I have my Ciener mag feed a .22 "snapcap" as the last round. They only last a few times, through. If I get ten go-throughs through before the aft end cracks and falls off, it's a miracle; they usually crack enough that they won't feed after about seven or eight times under the FP. That FTFeed acts as a poor-man's hold-open and gives me a chance to practice failure drills.

(For a hold-open, I'm currently trying to decide if I want to replace/supplement the Ciener with a Jarvis.)

D.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why not take a fired 22LR case and glue a 22Hornet bullet in it to the right length to match a loaded round. Result... A snap cap that won't crack.... It will still eventually wear out the rim but then you yank the bullet or use another one and put it in another 22LR case.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Never thought of that, thanks. My only concern would be that it's not visually different from live ammo, though I suppose I could paint it/them.

D.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah I forgot that part flourescent orange paint on the bullet tip and base... putting it on the outside of the case may cause it to get stuck in the chamber.... I suppose it may not really need the bullet but it could toally jam things up in some guns if it tried to feed the empty case I think. Then again I suppose that would cause the desired effect in a way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts