1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Kimber compact in stainless and aluminium and I had never considered buying a compact before, but at $435 I simply couldn't pass it up. Anyway, not knowing anything about the compact models, I was surprised to find that the flush-fit magazines were 7 rounders and that some even offer 8rd magazines.

What's different inside these magazines that allows them to be smaller, yet to have the same capacity as full sized mags?

Just curious,
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,394 Posts
The springs are weaker; doesn't really sound like what you'd want - more rounds and less spring to feed them - but you can't fit a full-power spring and an extra round in a standard tube, even with a trick follower.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does this make them less reliable, then?
would I be better off using only 6 rounders?

[This message has been edited by sam lowry (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,394 Posts
The springs in extra-capacity magazines are weaker than the springs in standard capacity mags of the same length. The space that is taken by the extra round replaces a few spring coils. Wolff can perhaps get an extra 5% (compared to what? A cut-down spring from a 7-rounder? I think Shooting Stars come with Wolff springs) by using a slightly different tempering or wire diameter or whatever. I use Shooting Star 8-rounders in my full-size 1911 with excellent results. I use full-length 7-rounders as reloads in my compact Detonics, because none of the 8-round mags that I have tried are able to "keep up" with the fast-cycling slide. If the higher-capacity mags work in your Kimber, then use them. I have found that my compact .45 is very much more sensitive to to proper springing than a full-size gun. My 5" guns will work with just about any reasonable combination of recoil, main and mag springs. The Detonics will start to malfunction if any one of the springs gets a little out of spec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts