1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few kimbers and I was recently considering purchasing one of Kimber's polymer offerings. Affordable, increased round capacity (11 instead of 8), possible frame longevity increase with the use of polymer. Am I on the right track. Can anyone tell me if the BP series guns live up the the Kimber name or does the reduction in price equal a reduction in quality?

I have not been able to find ample information using the search function so any of you BP owners, please sound off.:eek:

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a BP 10 II that has maybe 500 rounds through it. It has been a stellar performer so far. It will shoot one hole at 25 feet. I`m also a Sig shooter so the square grip is a natural to me. The grip is actually slightly slimmer than a standard 1911. It has a good trigger and the sights work well with my long arms. I am very pleased with it. The flat front magazine is not as forgiving with reloads as a standard 1911 mag. You have to watch your over all length a little closer. I bought mine slightly used from a range owner for $540 with a 14 round magazine and Wilson extended slide release. I had ordered a new one and it had been delayed due to the N.Y. blackout and a small fire in Kimbers shipping department. The dealer offered me his. About five years ago I had a Stainless Gold Match on order and it was delayed several weeks due to snow from Texas to New York clogging truck traffic. The dealer won`t let me order at the same time he needs another Kimber. He thinks I`m jinxed. Bob

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have 3 of the original polymers, 2 Classics and 1 Target, probably 15,000 rounds through all 3, about 5,000 each. One of the classics has had about 7,000 rounds. No problems they all still deliver exceptional accuracy. The only thing I have had to live with is the practice loads need to be round nose for 100% reliability. I thought about taking them to a gunsmith but decided that it something I can live with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BP 10

I have a BP 10 and really like it. I've shot about 2000 rounds with it, all reloads. The only problem I encountered was an occasional FTF in the first 500 rounds. After that it functioned perfectly.This is my 3rd Kimber , but I'm sure it won"t be my last.The BP 10 is a great gun.:)

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Gotta new one, have only two or three rounds thru it. Won't chamber anything. Planning to run some factory rounds thru it this weekend to satisfy Kimber pre-warranty requirements (factory rounds).

My Kimber Custom II, Colt Series 70, Series 80, My Glock all feed these fine tho.

I am REALLY not happy with my new BP Ten so far.

REALLY.:mad:

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Pictures of BP Ten acting badly.

First Picture is the way it looks "in battery" the second is a photo of it and the rounds it won't shoot (some of them)

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
Stillwater, are you stating that it won`t hand cycle and feed or won`t feed when firing? Semiautos require some momemtum to get the job done especially brand new ones. Mine just gobbles up 185 and 200 grain SWCs. Bob

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Hi Bob.

Well, I ran a thread earlier and all so I guess I shouldn't really keep whackin' away at Kimber....Welll why the heck not.

I don't really give a #$#% if it hand cycles if it feeds good when you're shootin' it. (It don't hand cycle either, tho.)

It don't.

Lotta times, like with yours and my favorite, the 200 SWC, it spanks the ball right into the groove between the lil' bitty ramp and the barrel. SMACK. There it stays like a display for how NOT TA FEED.

The round is still pretty level with the mag, hasn't really started up the ramp, but there she stays.

Sometimes it spanks the first round, sometimes it's the second round in the mag. STILL don't think I'll be using this critter as my CCW for a while yet. Like ta be one a' those rich Texans and just toss the critter in the creek and forget all about it. On the other hand, some Texans I know like a little "drama" oncet in awhile. I would really like to go back to the day I bought this thing and replan my time after work to include my not ever seeing a BP Ten at this point though.

Now, before y'all start in on me, I like my Kimber Custom II. I also like my Colts and my Springfield (all of whom heartily approve of my reloads, by the way). I wuz a USMC armorer back when the 1911 was still the sidearm. Yes, I could fix this thing. Yes, I would like Kimber to fix it. Yes, I am going through all the hoops. Will keep you posted on just how much time EXACTLY I have to waste before Kimber allows me to send it back.

Man, am I ever glad I not one a' those poor guys who got a bad one like this for his first 1911....I would not feel the way I do about 'em if that was the case. (and that would be a shame)

Take care, y'all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BP Ten

A little Tetra Gun Grease on the slide rails and internal parts works wonders . With 230gr. LRN reloads an OAL of 1.250 and a taper crimp of.496 seems to function best in my BP ten.

·
Registered
125 Posts
stillwater said:
Hi Bob.

Well, I ran a thread earlier and all so I guess I shouldn't really keep whackin' away at Kimber....Welll why the heck not.

I don't really give a #$#% if it hand cycles if it feeds good when you're shootin' it. (It don't hand cycle either, tho.)

It don't.

Lotta times, like with yours and my favorite, the 200 SWC, it spanks the ball right into the groove between the lil' bitty ramp and the barrel. SMACK. There it stays like a display for how NOT TA FEED.

The round is still pretty level with the mag, hasn't really started up the ramp, but there she stays.

Take care, y'all.
My kimber was doing the same thing with Fiocchi 45acp that fired through a glock with out any trouble. My solution was to buy a few different manuf. rds and then, with the gun dissasembled, simply place the rds into the chamber port until it was fully forward, with the barrel horizontal, then turn the exit end(non-chamber end) up so that the chamber was facing down. All of the rds other than the fiocchi fell out. The fiocchi required shaking/swaying of the barrel like a pengulum(spelling) with the end of the barrel with the rd in it facing downward to get the fiocchi to fall out.

So...long story short, dissassemble your gun, place the rd in just the barrel chamber, and turn it up side down and see if the rd falls out. Then try another manufacture and see what happens. If multiple manufactures rds are not falling out, then you have a chamber out of tolerance. If you find that only the ammo your shooting now won't fall you, then I would say that you should change ammo, as the box you have is out of spec, and probably everyother rd in that lot was out of spec just enough to cause you problems. Kimber's barrel supplier builds them to the tight side of the tolerances sometimes, which can cause problems with feeding.

Here is the link to my issue, see if it sounds familiar:
Fiocchi 230grn JHP

This one might be of some intrest as well:
Other Fiocchi ammo issues

Wes

PS my fiocchi was "MADE IN USA" stuff

·
Registered
724 Posts
Stillwater, these things may be real ammo sensitive. May not like the length. A shame if they are. I`ve never fired anything but the SWCs. The wide body mags may feed at a flatter angle or something. I`ll try to fire some hardball this weekend and get back to you. Unfortunately we don`t have a hand full of different magazines to try like with a 1911. Usually if they will feed SWCs they will feed anything but the wide bodies are wierd ducks. Good luck, Bob

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

I plan to try all the above this Saturday at the range (I do plan to try a few in the chamber prior, also.)

These are interesting thoughts indeed.

This forum just gets better and better.

Thanks again. Even if these things don't work, the knowledge gained here will prove valuable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts