1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering either an Ultra Carry, Tac Ultra II or Eclipse Ulta II. I presently own a Tac Pro II and have experienced good performance with Golden sabers in 185 gr and 230gr and find it easy to control and very accurate. I have no experience with the compacts. How would they compare to the Tac Pro II? Any feeding issues? Recoil issues? And last, does the Ultra Carry have a ramped barrel. Thanks for any insight you would like to share.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just did a search and saw very mixed reviews, but as they say, confusion is the first stage of enlightenemnt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love mine....

I have the Stainless Ultra Carry II and love it. I carry it every day and wouldn't trade it for anything. For a daily carry, the Ultra Carry is perfect. I have put over 3,000 rounds through it and it has never failed to operate perfectly! I have several friends who have done the same and feel just as confident in it as I do. For a short barrel, it is more accurate than you'd think. My guess is that many of the posters that are against these are only speculating and have never really owned it (please post and correct me if I'm wrong). Now my only problem is I can't stop collecting Kimbers! Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks AZ Heat, I am very pleased with my Tactical Pro II. The Ultra would be for summer wear. Ideal size and so on. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have an Ultra Carry II in Stainless Steel. I have shot several thousand rounds of ammo with NO problems. Flawless function! It will eat any ammo I feed it. The recoil is not too bad. My second shot recovery time is not as fast as my full size, however for such a small gun it is still impressive. As AZ Heat stated the accuracy is also impressive for a small gun.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ultra CDP Elite STS II

I love mine.........I have only owned it for about three weeks now, so I am still breaking it in. I have been to the range with it once. I put a total of about 120 rounds of mixed ammo (100 FMJ and about 20 JHP) with no problems at all and the accuracy was superb. I will be going back to the range again later this month and plan to run about 200 more rounds through it this time.

Also, as advised by some of the more experienced Kimber owners on this forum. I purchased a couple of Wilson Combat mags for it. I also just ordered a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB holster for it. I plan to use the Ultra as my primary CCW. I really am pleased so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had my stainless Ultra Carry since 1999 and it's my everyday carry gun I used to shoot it in IDPA every month until I bought a full size classic (got tired of getting my butt kicked by guys that shoot better than me and bought the full size). I have a set of Ashley style ProSights on it and have Wilson's slim grips, but other than that, the pistol is as Kimber shipped it. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey CowBoyWay!

I might be a little partial cause I just bought one two weeks ago.

I've had it to the range twice and have not experienced any problems at all!

I reload for my full size and my wifes Springfield, so the ultra has had 6 different loads and bullets run through it without a hickup. This alone is pretty impressive. A tight gun that can digest anything is important to me.

I enjoy shooting the full size more, but a whole 16 ounces lighter makes the ultra a very effective carry package.

After I bought mine I did the same search as you and noticed the same thing.......mixed reviews. Wonder why? This might be a good thread for me too.

I totally dig mine.

Bye.........Bioguy1

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just shot (this evening..) my Ultra Carry II Blued for the first time and I love it! Being a long time admirer of the 1911, I've carried Glocks for years. Now they are a great, simple gun, but lack the classsic lines and stature of the 1911.

I bought my Ultra because a friend has an Ultra Carry I which I enjoyed shooting.

Well......300+ rounds during my first sesion and the only malfunction came during the last 30-40 rounds when the slide would fail to close completely. A tap on the mag and the slide would close.....meaning the slide was dry (in need of oil). This was an out of the box test mind you. All I did was take it from the box, wipe off the excess oil, check the barrel and chamber for obvious problems and started shooting.

I am very pleased with the function of FMJ and HP ammo. And when I do my part I can keep 7 rounds within a 3" circle at 15 yrds. That is plenty of accuracy for a 3" close-combat-gun.

I cannot think of a better CCW or off-duty firearm, unless your scared of the cocked-and-locked carry. It dosent bother me in the least. Loaded with 7 rounds, the Ultra Carry II weighs 1 oz less then a loaded Glock 23, which is slightly larger in length and hieght and much chunkier in girth.

I could go on and on......buy an ultra carry, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been carrying an UltraCarryII Stainless as my main CCW, cocked & locked, in a Milt Sparks VM-II with true gun belt for about 6 mos. now. I had some reservations because I had a few FTF (feed) problems the first few times at the range, but now that the pistol is broke in ( 800-900 rounds) I haven't had any hiccups what-so-ever and now I trust it totally. I've got full sized guns but I find them too heavy to carry for any length of time. I carry a S&W Model 36 as a backup, not because I don't trust the Ultra, but because it's easy to do. It's usually in my brief case or floorboard of the truck.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Shoot safe and accurate !!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
My friend has five different Ultras. His latest is the Ultra Tactical II. It has a ramped barrel. After almost 1k rounds through it TRYING to get it to Burp. We both came to the conclusion it's one of the best 45's going. So far in jams. It's Ultra-0 Wilson Stealth-3.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
They can be very good. They can also turn south very quickly when the spring is getting tired. Remember the 1911 was designed as a 5" gun with the appropriate parts to match. Cutting 2" off the barrel and roughly 40% of the recoil slide time means introducing some real timing issues. Kimber's springs do a good job for the most part, but for a defensive gun, you should change with clockwork precision. Somebody will argue that clockwork is not needed, and it isn't unless you think it might be the gun your life depends on.

That little $40 captured dual recoil spring set should be changed every 1000 rounds. You may decide it is 900 or 1100 or whatever with the loads you use. That is fine. Find your happy place and things should be fine from there.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdy, I really appreciate the time you took to field my question. An Ultra will be my next purchase. I'm about to order some springs for my Tac Pro II and I'll also order a spring set for the Ultra and a Milt Sparks. Thanks again and stay safe.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had this Stainless Ultra I for almost two years and carry it constantly... totally reliable and very accurate. I've checkered the frontstrap & rear of the slide, 4# trigger job, lapped all the internals and GunKote'd it...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have been shooting my Ultra Carry since 1999 and it had proven to be excellent pistol. I was having some FTF problems at the start so I canged to Meg-Gar mags and it got better. Finally, I got some Wilson mags and it has worked 100% reliable. Mine still has trouble with FTF occasionally with factory and Meg Gar mags but not with Wilson.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I went with the compact instead of the ultra because of the barrel length. I read somewhere on the forums that the .45 isn't as effective in a barrel shorter than 4". I believe they were looking at speed of the round.

I wouldn't want to be shot with a .45 out of a sling shot though.

plunker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts