1911Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
14,967 Posts
Im
I've recently been shooting at 10 yards, stepping them off(size 13 shoe) with excessively long strides per yard, perhaps resulting in closer to 15 yards. Without an objective measuring device, how do y'all determine yardage? Thanks in advance!
I'm going to pretend I didn't see this Gumpian thread!!🙄

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
I hope you aren't carrying a single action army for protection, I guess they will work fine, have for many years before the 1911 came on the scene. I really do think there are better choices
W-e-l-l ... for my part, I wouldn't feel poorly armed with a S.A.A. ... though if saddled with a constraint of a 6-shot, S.A., 19th Century revolver, I'd choose a Remington 1875. Though not feeling poorly armed, expecting that I would feel ... conspicuous. Still: Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.

Reactions: drail

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Im

I'm going to pretend I didn't see this Gumpian thread!!🙄
The forum's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll read.

Reactions: yeti

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Look, I just needed to know a rudimentary means of measurement for an immediate purpose....stupid thread, I know.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Look, I just needed to know a rudimentary means of measurement for an immediate purpose....stupid thread, I know.
No stupid questions. There are always better ways to do things. Because I already had pacing and a carpenter's L.A.S.E.R. as a short range finder, I didn't consider others.

Reading this thread, I realized that for an outdoor range I could use some 30lb test with a knot at 15yds / 13.5m and at 25yds / 23m. My good L.A.S.E.R. doesn’t do 15yds ... too short. So the carpenter's is only for <=15yds; and 30lb test would be easier where I can walk to the target. L.A.S.E.R.s are great for measuring the distance to target; but not as easy as a string for setting a target. A string doesn’t need spare batteries. Sometimes it's just a matter of thinking things through for somebody else's question.

Reactions: mournglory27

·
Registered
14,157 Posts
I took it seriously because as a golfer, it is important to be able to get the right distance on a putting green as well as around the green.

Reactions: tgt_usa
61 - 72 of 72 Posts