1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a tragedy and I don't want to make light of it in any way, but I'm curious about something.

http://www.kpax.com/news/lolo-man-accidentally-shoots-self-dies-while-cleaning-revolver/

I've always wondered about the high percentage of "accidental" shootings during "cleaning" of firearms. Since the first thing you have to do is open the bolt, lock the slide back or open the cylinder, it seems that people must be making that claim to cover the fact that they were screwing around (or worse)

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but in this case not only was he "cleaning" it but he had it turned around pointed at his chest. What say ye? Truth or cover?

G

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
If you "accidentally" shoot yourself dead, it's not suicide and the family gets your life insurance.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I accidentally kill myself daily! I just keep waking up the next day and nobody seems to remember me dying. I think they say "you bast**ds!" or something each time I die but I'm not sure.

·
Administrator
75,160 Posts
It seems every time I read a news story about a gun accident the owner always makes the claim that it happened while he was cleaning it, which I agree is likely just a cover to avoid admitting that they were recklessly engaging in horseplay with a loaded weapon. You can't field-strip a firearm or run a cleaning rod down the bore without realizing that the thing is still loaded, so I usually call BS whenever I hear this. I once had a co-worker show me some pics of a few guns he and some friends had gotten out and spread across his bed. There was loose ammunition and magazines all over the place along with the guns. I chastised him for that, but he was totally unconcerned. Some folks simply can not and will not learn safe gun handling practices.

·
Registered
342 Posts
He could have dropped the gun and then tried to catch it. That's the only way I could see this scenario playing out. If you drop your gun let it fall, do not try to catch it! Fingers have a way of making it into the trigger guard when you are grabbing for it.

I'm sure everyone already knows this but it's just a friendly reminder.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
It seems every time I read a news story about a gun accident the owner always makes the claim that it happened while he was cleaning it, which I agree is likely just a cover to avoid admitting that they were recklessly engaging in horseplay with a loaded weapon.
It is like Drunk Drivers, who only had two beers...

People like to say what they think a person wants to hear, and admit how dumb they are. But, its fun to let people talk, then ask a few questions, then give them a "do over" and listen to the truth.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Post #2 has the answer. That information is usually what the public gets. The coroners report may say something else entirely.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
How indeed?

• Cleaning a loaded weapon from the muzzle
  • Fumbling while drawing from a Plaxco "holster"
  • Practicing "quick draw" in front of a mirror, and the mirror shoots first

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
After my aunt died my uncle "accidently" shot and killed himself while cleaning his .38 revolver. He wasn't the most cautious individual, but I never believed it was an accident.

I suspect a lot of accidents are not.

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
As a 40 year Chem Eng told me, "It's hard to make things foolproof cause fools are resourceful".

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,372 Posts
Here is an inconvenient truth about gun owners:

Every gun owner believes that his or her gun handling is safe, regardless of how good or bad that gun handling is.

This is an example of illusory superiority‑a cognitive bias that causes people to overestimate their positive qualities
and abilities and to underestimate their negative qualities, relative to others. It’s also known as the Lake Wobegon
effect, because none of us believe we are below average.

That means, of course, that none of the discussion that follows applies to you, but you probably know someone who
would benefit from this article.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tune-up-your-gun-handling/

·
Premium Member
9,046 Posts
I would like to see a picture of the scene with all the necessary cleaning equipment laid out.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I don't know, but in my town if you have an accidental or "unintentional" discharge, the DA will throw the book at you. Ask the guy I'm teaching who's under a court order (and paying me a lot of money) this weekend who had a gun he was "cleaning" go off, exit his house and enter the neighbors. Then a third neighbor heard the shot, called the PD saying he was attacking the neighbor, when he was apologizing and offering to cover the damage.

Illegal Discharge in city limits, a felony (plead to misdemeanor)
Misconduct with a weapon
Disorderly conduct (our version of disturbing the peace)
Failure to have a dog license. Seriously.

I'll tell you this, I'm putting in bullet traps at the office and home.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
How? Cross the Clinton's (as in Bill or Hillary).

Their enemies have even been known to commit suicide by shooting themselves in the back of the head with a shotgun. Twice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts