1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few pics of dual magazine holders. Usually it seems like the mags are held in opposite directions. It makes for a pretty picture, but doesn't that cause some minor confusion upon reloading?

I carry mine both going in the same direction so that whichever I grab goes in to the gun the exact same way every time. Naturally everybody does stuff differently, but after seeing some recent pics I thought I'd throw it out there.

Is there any reason or advantage to facing the mags away from each other?

·
Registered
185 Posts
yah same direction. What I did was take out the mag, and put the mag in the mag holster. What ever direction it was facing was the way I keep them, so if I have to reload i know they are facing the right way every time

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yeah, same direction for me too. Mag carrier on my left side with bullets facing forward.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Mag carrier on left side behind hip, with bullets facing forward. Index finger of non shooting hand goes to top of mag to aid in guiding mag into magwell.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I've seen a few pics of dual magazine holders. Usually it seems like the mags are held in opposite directions. It makes for a pretty picture, but doesn't that cause some minor confusion upon reloading?

I carry mine both going in the same direction so that whichever I grab goes in to the gun the exact same way every time. Naturally everybody does stuff differently, but after seeing some recent pics I thought I'd throw it out there.

The dual pouches facing different directions can be made smaller than both facing the same way.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I recently started shooting USPSA and one of the tips the guys gave me was to not use the dual/tripple/quad pouches because if you bought singles, you could put them where ever you wanted to on your belt.

Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I recently started shooting USPSA and one of the tips the guys gave me was to not use the dual/tripple/quad pouches because if you bought singles, you could put them where ever you wanted to on your belt.

Makes sense to me.

Good advice. Doubles and quads are a PITA.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Yeah, same direction for me too. Mag carrier on my left side with bullets facing forward.
Different strokes for different folks.

Double mag carrier on left side but the bullets face backward. Reason? After grabbing the mag with my left hand, . . . I pull it straight up, . . . rotate my wrist forward, . . . it is ready to go straight up and into the 1911's empty magazine well.

Carrying them that way also allows my ring finger to latch onto the the little rubber lip on the front of the mag, . . . making it a sure grab for me.

Anywhoooooo, . . . that's the way I do it.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Mine both face forward. I draw a spare mag similar to how you would draw the gun. I pull straight up, then push forward toward the magwell of the pistol.

I figure if I'm going for the second spare mag, I'm in deep doodoo. The last thing I need is to have another motor skill such as lining up an opposed magazine.

No flame intended to you, Dwight55, just how I do it. Your post just made me sit here and think how my method works for me and why.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine are facing the same way, have two seperate 1 mag kydex holders positioned one before 6:00 belt loop, and one after to give a little space in between them both. Thought about moving one to almost 4:00 to give some weight seperation and so i dont fumble with them being too close but i dout it. side arm 3-3:30 and mags opposite side at 6-6:30.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This stuff cracks me up. It's hilarious going to a class and watching guys fumble with some budget gimmicky rig, or with mags turned every which way with no though about speed or tac reloads and positioning. I keep mine pointed towards the enemy on my belt so that as I draw the mag from the belt I roll from knuckles in to knuckles out. I've tried the flip deal where you rotate underneath the wrist and it just isn't for me. The best thing to do would be to go to a reputable instructor for a full day or couple day course and bring your setup. No faster way to figure out what works and what needs to be thrown out.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Both with bullets facing forward. Index finger indexes along the front of the mag, making it easy to find the mag well and insert the fresh mag, even in the dark. We teach that at the academy.

I was walking the line one ¼-ly qual and saw a shooter with one mag forward, one backward. I walked over and turned the rear one around...she puffed up and got all mad and told me she had carried for 18 years that way and wasn't about to change, and she immediately flipped it back. I just shook my head and walked away. Later that morning another instructor saw her mags, walked over, and flipped her mag around as I had done. She then said she guessed if two of us saw and corrected her, she must be doing it wrong.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Mine are facing the same way, have two seperate 1 mag kydex holders positioned one before 6:00 belt loop, and one after to give a little space in between them both. Thought about moving one to almost 4:00 to give some weight seperation and so i dont fumble with them being too close but i dout it. side arm 3-3:30 and mags opposite side at 6-6:30.
I believe if they're opposite each other it'd be 9-9:30.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
One of the funniest things I have seen at IDPA matches, was the guy shooting with no mag carriers. Carried his spare mags in his strong side jacket pocket. When he came to his first reload it was hilarious,the look on his face. You know the awe **** look. How do you do a reload with your gun in your shooting hand and your mags in your shooting hand pocket? You don't, and get this he was a part time LEO for a small department. But that's what IDPA is all about, find the mistakes on the range instead of on the street and getting dead.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The only reasons that I heard to face mags opposite ways is slightly better concealment (think bobbed vs straight CC in a gun given the slant to the mags) and couple smart people I know carry facing opposite in case they have to use the offhand for shooting (it should be noted they carry extra mags in SOB position).

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
The only reasons that I heard to face mags opposite ways is slightly better concealment (think bobbed vs straight CC in a gun given the slant to the mags) and couple smart people I know carry facing opposite in case they have to use the offhand for shooting (it should be noted they carry extra mags in SOB position).

They take up less room on the belt. You can make the pouches closer to each other.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts