1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read at a product site that ",,all reputable tactical training schools teach that your extra mag pouches should be on the supporting hand side ( I agree) with the mags stored with the primers to the rear."
I have always carried them with the primers forward, seems that when I grab them that way and bring them forward and up, the mag is in position to enter the mag well. I've never attended a high price "Tac School", though I do hear they are good, but do they really teach primer to the rear?

·
Registered
685 Posts
That's the way my Bladetech mag pouches are oriented - nose of the cartridge facing downrange, and it's how I was taught to carry one.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Correct, bullets face forwards towards your belt buckle.

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Most people like to hold the spare magazine with the index finger running down the front of the magazine when loading. This is facilitated by having the magazine oriented "bullets forward" when in the pouch.

Rosco

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ditto Rosco. At TR we learned to use the index finger to touch the top round and check if it is seated full back in the mag. I actually did have a leather mag holder that drug one off once, I felt it extended and flicked it off before I tried to ram the mag home. It actually works for somebody as uncoordinated as I am.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is an example of you get good at what your used to. After reading your replies, I tried a number of times to do a tac reload with the nose forward and it felt so uncomfortable and un-natural, but the way I'm used to feels so right. Again, find what works for you and practice till your good at it and it feels natural. Any tactical reason why I should try to learn the nose forward way?
(From gm45) "I actually did have a leather mag holder that drug one off once, I felt it extended and flicked it off before I tried to ram the mag home."
That sounds like a good reason, but I'm getting a little old to change some ways.

G

·
With the bullets facing forward, the leverage and range of motion you have is superior to the postion your hand and wrist must be contorted to retrieve the mag with the bullets rearward.

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by 173abn:
Any tactical reason why I should try to learn the nose forward way?
I can't think of any. If you're satisfied with the speed and reliability with which you are performing your reloads, there's no reason to switch. This is sort of like the issue of whether to switch a revolver to one's weak hand and handle the speedloader with one's strong hand or not...it's a matter of habit, preference, and dexterity.

Rosco

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Don't know of a tactical reason but there is a tactile reason. By orienting your support side trigger finger on the front lip, it's easier to guide the mag into the mag well. Most of us are quite used to using the index finger for pointing and detail work.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by MarkW:
wrist must be contorted to retrieve the mag with the bullets rearward.
Actually it's not,,I grab the mag with the palm facing my left hip, wrap my fingers around the mag and withdraw with an up and forward motion which puts the ammo facing downrange and insert into well. I guess it's just what you are trained to do and what you get used to. I was never "trained" to do it this way, it's just what felt natural when I made the switch from a revolver.

G

·
Not to argue but what you describe is exactly what I was refering to. But like others have said if it works for you.....
just kind of makes you wonder why a large majority carry with bullets facing forward.

If it works for you and your comfortable doing it that way, why change?

·
Registered
479 Posts
173abn, IMO There isn`t anything wrong with your technic.. It`s just the way you prefer to grab your mags.. If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it.. Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I carry primers forward, because I grab them like I do my 1911 -- index finger pointing downwards, thumb parallell to the Galco single mag carrier. Mag comes out, I rotate the wrist up 180 degrees, bullets are pointing at front of 1911, I insert into mag well.

At the S&W Academy, they told me I do it wrong -- bullets should face nose forward. This from PD instructors from Puerto Rico, New Hampshire, and former Michigan state police. But it doesn't feel right to me.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
ACP, once you have seated your mag with your method, is your thumb in position to drop the slide with the slide stop? Probably not. This is one of the main reasons for carrying bullet-forward. When you grab the mag with this grip and seat it, your thumb is already properly placed to drop the slide with the slide stop. There is no need to re-adjust your grip if you grab the mag with bullets facing forward.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If your reload TIME is good, you should be able to do a split time (shot fired; reload; shot fired) in about 1.5 seconds or a little less. [Both shots fired still on target at 10 Yds]. If you are master class the split is about 1.0 seconds or less. This is not from gun-dry slide lock.

Check your time with a timer and see where you are.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The tactical reason for having the rounds facing forward is that as you pull the mag from the mag holder you can "index" the first round of the new magazine. So as you pull your new mag your index finger ends up on the bullet of the first round.

This allows you to determine that there is a round in the magazine and gives you a chance to do a gross check (without looking at it). So if, for example, the first round is partially out of the magazine you will feel it immediately. Then you can: press the round back in, flip it out so you can use the new mag, or retrieve a new mag.

If you are grabbing your mags properly, your index finger will have the proper positioning on the mag before it even starts to move from the mag pouch. So as you pull out the mag, your finger is automatically in the proper place.

I am not sure how you could do that with your mags oriented the other direction (primers downrange).

[This message has been edited by AAshooter (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey 173,

I've been trying it your way a few times.
Not bad.

But, I do believe you would be ever so slightly quicker and more positive w/ the traditional way.

I've had to be "retrained" on several habits myself. It only takes about a week of practice to develop speed with a new skill.

Have fun

·
Registered
99 Posts
I could see that primers forward, if you "short-stroked" your grab for your spare, the top round might catch on the pouch and get peeled off, thus losing a round that might be important.

This same motion with bullets forward would tend to seat the cartridge back into the mag.

No practical experience to support this, just late-night theorizing. <grin>

Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts