1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking into getting my CCW but i'm curious how people carry during hot weather. During the winter it wouldnt be a problem obviously, but i'm stationed in Georgia right now (from Dallas) and during the summer people think i'm nuts for wearing jeans and a t-shirt much less a jacket. I've been outside (in the field) in BDUs in august and even an over garment as lite as a BDU blouse will make you sweat like a whore in church. Do you put the 1911s away for the summer and carry a pocket sized 9mm or is there a trick i'm missing.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yep....some of us put away the big ones....Airweight j-frame in a Renegade ankle holster, pocket or appendix carry.

·
Super Moderator
13,517 Posts
Some options:

Dress slacks/dress shirt - J-frame in Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

Khaki/polo shirt - J-frame in pocket + 1911 commander in Tommygun belly bag.

Shorts/t-shirt or square bottom cotton shirt - 1911 commander in Sparks or Alessi or Desantis Scorpion IWB + J frame in pocket.

·
Registered
692 Posts
An IWB holster with a T-shirt worn untucked usually works for me. If an untucked shirt is not an option, check out a "tuckable" style holster offered by many holster makers.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I carry pretty much the same way year round. Summertime is jean shorts with a slightly large t-shirt or tank top. Wintertime is jeans t-shirt and maybe a flannel shirt over the top of that. I use a KramerIII IWB holster for all.

Steve

·
Banned
501 Posts
Same here......I carry the same all year. When its hot in Utah, it over 100 but very little humitidy. I can swing shorts/t shirt with a good IWB holster.
In the winter I just can add more guns.............:D
Shoot well

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Cargo shorts, large t-shirt, good belt and holster. I can carry a full size 1911 with no problems.

p.s. why would a whore sweat in church? afraid she'll see some of her customers? :dope:

·
Registered
43 Posts
When it's really hot, I carry my G19 in a Comp-Tac IWB with a Wilderness belt. If I don't plan on being outside too much, I just use my normal holster, which is a Milt Sparks Watch Six.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I seem to be in the minority here. I carry a 9mm too, but it is a 9mm short. A Kel-Tec .380 will fit in your back pocket or front pocket in a proper holster and it will be impossible to tell it from a wallet. You can even carry it in your swim trunks, (but it is a little difficult to draw from a baggie!:) )

I have a S & W model 60, but the Kel-Tec P3AT is infinately easier to conceal. I must say with the new short barrel ammo available for a .38 it's tempting to carry it, but the concealment factor and ease of carry seems to win out in really hot weather when a cover garment is impractical.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I carry a Les Baer Stinger (commander slide/officer grip) in a Milt Sparks summer special while wearing just a t-shirt. I think what is also very important to pull it off is a good quality belt. Either get a Sparks or Alessi belt.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Shootcraps said:
Cargo shorts, large t-shirt, good belt and holster. I can carry a full size 1911 with no problems.
+1...

Another option I like is a "Hawaiian" Shirt with shorts. They are made for warm weather and most tend to hang very straight, offering excellent concealment.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
i'll try some of those options. It was just pointed out to me that my waist size may play a major factor in concealability. I am 6'3 and 200+ pounds but only have a 32" waist. Which is great for asthetics but it may let the butt of the gun leave a siloette (SP? damn public education). Do you think this will pose a problem? should i look into a bobtailed gun to help eleviate some of that problem, and if so does anyone make one for under a grand

·
Registered
692 Posts
SGT. Cap:

The best way to find what will work best for you is to try a few different options. Maybe borrow different types from friends. What works for me may be terrible for you. Sometimes you just have to experiment a little. Personally, I have purchased holsters in the past that now sit in a drawer collecting dust.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I carry all day, everyday in South Florida, where even in winter, it's still summer. Gov.t model, all steel 1911. Some days it's just jeans, steel toe boots, and a t-shirt. Most days it's the jeans, steel toe boots, t-shirt, all under a heavy denim coverall in a shop without A/C. I guess for some it's a big adjustment, I think I just got used to it quicker.

On the plus side, I have gone down from a 38 to a 32 in the few years that we've been down here, and the missus ain't complainin!:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another Option

The Hiwaiian (spelling?) shirt thing works great (especially unbuttoned) but sometimes the weight of a pistol around the waist can be annoying and uncomfortable. You might like The Galco Defense Planner www.usgalco.com This baby looks exactly like a day timer (or bible) and you can throw it down next to you in any restaurant or throw it up on the dash of your car. I sure like mine in the summer. Galco S.O.B. at about 4 O'Clock position is great for concealment under the tail of a shirt because the pistol rides way up high.

·
Registered
155 Posts
S&W 642 j frame in a Robert Mika pocket holster, all day, everyday. The 1911 comes out if I'm having to go to the city and then I go with an untucked shirt on a hot day, or a light vest if it's cool.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts