1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"From the bottom.", yah, I know.

I ordered two 7 round Wilson's from my local gunshop. I find out today they can't get any for several weeks (seems their regular supplier doesn't carry them any more). They had some 8 rounders available, but I was unsure, having read they're harder to insert.

I brought home a loaner and I can only get it to seat fully if I give the pad a rap with the palm of my weak hand. Is this normal/proper, or have I been watching too many movies? I'd hate to pick up another bad habit.

I'll admit, aside from the tendancy towards percussive positioning, I like it. It doesn't stick out like I thought it would. If it feeds well at the range tomorrow, I just might get a few.

Thanks in advance,

Steve G.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Steve... It's good practice to seat any mag "With Authority". You won't hurt the gun, or the mag, but having a mag not seat full will render the gun inoperable after the next shot. Can't have that...

Even further... In a "stressed" environment, you don't want to be second guessing, you really want to know that the mag is where it belongs...

I like the 8's... Just personal preference, no sense giving up a round if you don't have too...

As for "Inserting"... Yup, the bottom is a great place to start...

You might also try this...

Hold the mag in the weak hand, with your index finger on the tip of the top bullet.

Bring the hands together, using the index finger to help index or guide your hand-to-hand rendevous. I keep the mag angled so that the base of the mag is positioned over the trigger guard.

When your finger touches the bottom of the gun, look down briefly, and confirm your postition... Hook the top of the mag, and rotate the mag into the well, as the palm drives it home.

Most experts don't need to look down, but until you can do this without looking, you should look. The point is you want to keep your eyes on your target, not your gun, so keep the looking part to minimum, if at all.

Tactical (retention) reloads are trickier... I won't get into that now... You might want to have someone demonstrate.

Practicing mag changes is as important as dry fire practice for me... In a match, it could be the difference of 2 or 3 seconds, but in a life and death situation, it could mean the difference of who walks away, and who doesn't.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kewl, Jaydee. I'll give my guy the correct change for a couple of 8 rounders tomorrow.

BTW, I've done one tactical reload (at my first IDPA shoot) and I think I've got the sequence down.

Let me know if I miss anything:

1) Grab new magazine with weak hand and bring towards bottom of pistol.

2) Eject partially-loaded magazine from pistol into weak-hand.

3) Drop full magazine.

4) Bend over to retrieve dropped magazine. Receive warning from S.O. for muzzle direction.

5) Insert full (and now dirty) magazine into pistol.

6) Stow other magazine in between belt and pants 'cause it "looks cool". Receive DQ when magazine drops to ground without your noticing as you advance to next target.

7) Go home and post flame on alt.handguns.shootingsports about how all competitions are run for "gamers" and not serious shooters.

(I'm not saying I did all this the first time, but I'm willing to learn!)

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I love my Wilson 8-rounders but, with the slide down, they are harder to insert than 7's. While the 7's still have some room left in the mag body for the spring to compress when the top round encounters the bottom of the slide, the others have 8 rounds and a spring packed in as tight as possible. Like jaydee said, getting in the habit of inserting mags 'with authority' is not a bad thing. Leaving new 8 rounders fully loaded for a few days seems to help a bit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been slamming 8 and 10 round Power Mags in my Colts without any problems and am pretty happy with the mags also. Might have to order another 10.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a follow-up, I shot an IDPA match yesterday with one Colt 7 round mag and one Wilson 8 round mag. I had no trouble getting the Wilson home on the first try during tactical reloads. Granted, it still takes me about 90 seconds
, but the magazine worked perfectly.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

[This message has been edited by El Roto (edited 01-21-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts