1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering them for my Kimber Gold Match. I would like to hear positive and negative. I know they must be quality products, I have not changed the position on the adjustable so I want miss that feature. I do wander about how well the fixed will sight in. thanks

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
They are the sight of choice for me. My peripheral vision lines up the dots vertically while I concentrate on the top-center of the front sight.

Three dots horizontally is comparatively distracting to me.

Novaks are OK but Heinie's are a notably better IMO. Not better enough to trash the novaks on the guns I have them on, but better enough to be on any gun I have the chance to spec the sights on.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
A lot! I have them on a Kimber Classic Stainless. Good sight picture. When I am feeling the true force of IDPA
, I use it in matches. Had them for three years, still bright as ever.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have them on all three Glocks and would put them on my Wilson 1911 but I am happy enough with the stock setup.
Heinie's Straight Eights provide an excellent sight picture, both day and night, and have premium Trijicon capsules.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I've got my flame retardant suit on cuz I think I'm gonna need it. While Heinie's Slant Pro and Straight Eight may be excellent sights, I'm starting to think that they have become the "flavor of the week". Everyone's on the bandwagon to get these sights.

I have used Heinies under some pretty bad conditions, and I have also used Novaks under the same. I have found NO instance where Heinies outweigh Novaks. In fact, while many will preach about the non-distracting, 1-plane rear face, I have actually found that the Novak, because of the notch being inset in the sight body, has been MORE visible under some direct sun conditions. The Novak inset notch is shielded from glare when sunlight hits it at a certain angle. While the Heinies are serrated and certainly cut down the glare, they have been like a mirror under some conditions - bouncing the glare right back into the eye. This has never happened to me with Novaks.

Yes, we all know to focus on the front sight - but I have found that hard to do when there is a significant amount of glare obscurring the rear notch.

It sounds like I am criticizing Heinies more than I actually am. They ARE excellent sights. I simply prefer Novaks where the notch is always clean and crisp, even when focused on the front sight.

Allow me to light your flamethrowers, gentlemen......

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
I have been using Heinie fixed sights for the past seven years.

Is anyone else still making fixed sights?

Shane just has a hard time with the Heinie rear because he had it chromed...

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help guys! anyone else?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I personally prefer Heinie's over Novak's because it's less confusing to my eye but you can't go wrong with either. I'm not a fan of night sights in general as I believe that in any situation that you need them to orient your gun, you need a flashlight to ID the target as well. That said, I prefer the straight eights over any other night sight.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Put me in for the Heinie's I have them on my Colt Defender and love them. I will absolutely get them on my next gun!

[This message has been edited by EOS1D (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
I like Heinie's SlantPro and his original sight too. The straight-eight tritium dot pattern works just fine...but, then again, so does having a tritium vial in the front sight only.

One of the best things about the Heinie sights is that you can have them installed, with a quick turnaround, right in Heinie's own shop. With Heinie's quick turn-around services (sights, frontstrap & mainspring housing scalloping), one can have that Heinie touch on one's pistol without waiting for years for a full Heinie custom pistol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong but for some reason, I look at it as the difference between vertical vs horizontal sight alignment (am I using the right choice of words here?).

I've never shot Heinie's before but I'm looking to borrow a friend's piece to see how I do with a vertical sight alignment. Something tells me that I might just like it better.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Im thinking along the lines of Templar333. When I department does night shooting training or even when Im at home, I find it difficult to quickly line up the 3 dots and find myself shifting the pistol side to side to align the dots. I haven't tried the heinies yet but will look for someone who does to see if it makes any kind of difference.

------------------
kanak

·
Registered
375 Posts
Howdy All..Well I have a set of the ashley big dot tritiums on my HK tactical that I carry on duty.I have improved both my shot placement and speed with them.I am interested in putting a set on a new les baer I'm ordering I think the heinies with the serrated rear blade will look nice but I am told they will not do that at their shop.Anybody out there know if the heinies can be put on a baer to replace their lp fixed sight without any modification?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm no night shooting expert but the fastest night shooting I have been able to do is with with tritium front sight only (this is only when shooting under 10 yards). With 2 dot or 3 dot sights a lot of time is spent trying to align the dots where as with tritium capsule just in the front sight you only concentrate on the front sight. Several of my friends also do their best shooting with night sights just on the front sight.

Just one person's experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts