1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked one up,(Dillon). Looks like it will help. Except for case bulge I'm not sure what else I'm detecting. LOA? Headspace?? How do you 'ol pro's use it?

Thanks again everybody...

·
Registered
550 Posts
The .45 ACP does not seem to care much about case length. I gave up measuring cases, even on range pick-up brass, long ago. For defensive training and practice, the ammo is fine. A bullseye competitor might think differently about the matter.

The case length gauge measures overall case length, which in a cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth, like the .45, also means you are indirectly measuring headspace. But you have to know the headspace measurement of you pistol before the case length means anything.

For maximum accuracy, you should use a matched set of cases, all fired the same number of times, trimmed to the same length, and re-trimmed at appropriate intervals as determined by the case length gauge.

[This message has been edited by KLN (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I look at the case gauge as a way of telling if the case is bulged. For .45ACP, it rarely detects anything else.

Re: trimming cases, neither I nor anyone I know (and we shoot ALOT of .45) has ever trimmed a case. Rifle cases.....now that's another matter!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Never trimmed a .45 ACP case. Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort because for my applications, trimming the case won't provide a noticeable improvement in accuracy.

If I were to shoot a lot of 50 yard bullseye competitively, it might be worthwhile.

At one time, I used to try to keep one brand of brass but after seeing a piece of brass here and there at the range, I’ve accumulated an assortment of various headstamps that I gave up on that idea

Lastly, since I load all my .45 ACP on a Dillon, trimming cases would defeat the purpose of owning a progressive press.

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I was tooling up for my Dillon 550B, I bought the case gauge. Therein began my troubles. Some of my rounds were too tight to go easily in/out of the gauge, so adjustments were made to taper crimp die so they would. Big mistake. now my rounds wouldnt even headspace on the case mouth,(they were going too deep in chamber), Failures to fire, (primers too far forward in chamber to be ignighted), and hellish extraction of dud rounds stuck in chamber/rifling. It seems that the case gauges are manufactured to Minumum SAMMI specs, and Colts and Glocks are considerably looser in specs, (to be combat reliable).
Solution? Threw the case gauge out in the alley, started using my barrels as gauges and problems disappeared, reliability reappeared!
Another thing, dont taper crimp your 45's unless you absolutly have too, Minumum belling of the case mouth, seat your bullets, (A few), measure the OAL and record, then cycle them thru your pistol by hand, (vigerously), then recheck your OAL. If any of them come out shorter, you may need minumum taper crimp, so bullet set back does not occur, which could raise pressures.

------------------
"Always place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark"
Lazarus Long

1 - 5 of 5 Posts