1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Safely related to theft, fire, natural disaster or, any precautionary way to keep them "secure and safe".

I just placed my petty stash in two small military ammo metal case and cable-locked them (w/easy 3-digit combi key). I thought that I can easily grab from each hand to move or tose them out of the house - if need be.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Safely related to theft, fire, natural disaster or, any precautionary way to keep them "secure and safe".

I just placed my petty stash in two small military ammo metal case and cable-locked them (w/easy 3-digit combi key). I thought that I can easily grab from each hand to move or tose them out of the house - if need be.
I do not lock any ammo up. I do have 1200+ in ammo that got wet in 2005 and will be going soon to make into empty brass for reloads{the fun way}
Everything that was in metal GI ammo cans never got a drop of water inside the cans as was under water got 6 or so days.
If you never liked them before it would make you like them.
I am going to stock up on factory stuff as well starting after the 1st :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Mine (12k) rounds are in metal GI containers that are inside wooden GI shipping crates padlocked. I keep them seperated by type (JHP/FMJ/Grain) and caliber. About 5k of that is factory ammo in 9, 40, 45acp, 357/38, 357sig and .223/5.56, the rest are reloads.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I use .50 cal ammo cans with dessicant in each.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Until recently I simply stored all my ammo in my walk in bank safe I'd purchased at an auction years back, but after discussing it with colleagues at range, I decided to have the contractor that is building my new concrete home build me a bunker underground in the back yard with it's own HVAC system to maintain a constant temperature. It's a poured concrete bunker with steel frames and concrete blocks with the walls being a solid 12" thick with a 6 inch thick concrete floor. In the center of the room are 6 bolted down solid stainless steel ammo safes, the ones that are mesh to allow even airflow. The bunker is wired for electricity, has it's own independant cellphone backed alarm system and is a constant 75 year round. I do this because I keep a lot of ammo handy as I tend to shoot on average around 1500 a month, 750 through my carry weapon and the rest through various other handguns and rifles.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
it'd take the 20 mins police response time for a home invader to find my ammo stash ..which would likley not be the first target...as he'd encounter guitar/amp collections, the cheap jewelry that does not stay in the safe, notice the video security system and try to destroy it and any evidence that might not have already uploaded to the offsight and secondary hidden drive...
yessir..there are plenty of distractions before he'd find my ammo stash...

which is kept in green cans...cause they work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've done away with the original packaging, a wasted of space. I've opened the all up and dumped them into .50 cal ammo cans.....Each caliber get's their own can. JHP's and FMJ' are also in seperate cans.

My .45 Auto can would have more in it, but the jackass at Academy holds the .45 Auto for his friends. I've actually witnessed him doing this.

Half our closet has turned green, and the wife keeps asking when she can get her own guns.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I decided to have the contractor that is building my new concrete home build me a bunker underground in the back yard with it's own HVAC system to maintain a constant temperature. It's a poured concrete bunker
That is so cool :rock:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Down stairs closet.

Grant

·
Registered
73 Posts
I keep my one round in my shirt pocket :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
RocDoc beat me to it...:biglaugh:

but honest to god..this used to be true...20 years ago..all we had was an old handmedown lever rifle..30/30 stuck in the corner of the closet and in my top dresser drawer there was a ziplock sandwich bag that had 6 "bullets" in it...when the bad guy came to call one night and was out in my van in the front drive.. I literally got up..not believing my wife..pulled out the big ol rifle, fished the drawer for one (1) uno...Barney Fife bullet...chambered it and walked out side to prove to my wife that she heard nothing...course it wasn't nothing..it was a bad guy that I held at that gun point til the cops arrived... I've changed my ways a bit since then...:biglaugh:

green cans in a back room closet..concealed... I do keep all mine in the original boxes cause it keeps things cleaner when I want to grab a couple to take to the range and who knows.. I might want to see some one day...price has already more than doubled from what I paid for most of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ammo storage

I keep mine in a military metal ammo box. It still has the stenciled lettering on the side for 5.56 mm NATO ball rounds. If ever caught in a fire, this should contain any cartridges that cook off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I actually keep mine in surplus ammo cans in my unfinished basement off the floor, and keep several hundred rounds in the safe on the main floor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ditto on the ammo cans, I put some dessicant in them just in case, never had any problems. I have had some .38 ammo in one can for over 5 years, just shot some this summer with no problems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts