1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious and wondering how other reloaders stock up on components. I know that for casters it's a little different. Also, it's a little tough with the way things are now as well as some folks having more money to spend than others but in general ...
Do you try and stock an "equivalent supply" of bullets, powder and primers? Do you buy a particular component when price is good and not worry about having more or less of one component?
Or, buy only whatever you are running low on?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I get what I can when I find good deals. I keep a lot of extras for certain components like large pistol and small rifle primers, make sure I have plenty of my favorite powders, but I tend to shop around for projectiles. I have a few thousand of each caliber I load for on hand, but I am always prowling for the best deals on hard cast bullets and bulk .224 bullets. I try not to be running low on anything, and the only thing I got caught with my pants down on during this past ammo crunch was large pistol primers.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I get what I can when I find good deals. I keep a lot of extras for certain components like large pistol and small rifle primers, make sure I have plenty of my favorite powders, but I tend to shop around for projectiles. I have a few thousand of each caliber I load for on hand, but I am always prowling for the best deals on hard cast bullets and bulk .224 bullets. I try not to be running low on anything, and the only thing I got caught with my pants down on during this past ammo crunch was large pistol primers.
This is about how I do it also but got caught on 9mm ammo and componets instead of LPP.I wish I would have stocked up on more 22LR also but have around 5,000 and hopefully I can score on some sooner or later bc I always keep a 500 rd box and my Ruger in my range bag. It's the one gun that Always goes to the range.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I base stock on what can be bought without straining the budget. If i have a half a C note I'll get primers or powder if available, if not then save for bullets. It has worked ok.
RB

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Curious and wondering how other reloaders stock up on components. I know that for casters it's a little different. Also, it's a little tough with the way things are now as well as some folks having more money to spend than others but in general ...
Do you try and stock an "equivalent supply" of bullets, powder and primers? Do you buy a particular component when price is good and not worry about having more or less of one component?

Buy in bulk. I don't shoot much anymore, so my supply is still pretty good.....

5 1/2 years ago, I made a bulk 10k bullet (255 lswc.....LOVE the big bullets!) and 10k primer purchase at the local gunshow. 10k bullets at $31 per 1000=$310. Primers were $17.50 per 1000=$175. :D 6 months before that I had made a similar 5k bullet (230 rnl) and 5k primer purchase at the same gunshow.
Prices were "pre-madness".

Probably down to about 7500 primers and total bullets in the 12K (all total including non-bulk buys).

Brass.....pick it up as you go...prob down to about 6k of 45's, 2k of 10mm and 2500 of .223.

Powder remains a pick it up when you see it acquisition.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My primer and powder stock pretty much depends on what Widener's has in stock. I'm local and have never paid a hazmat fee for having them shipped. As for bullets, I prefer Zero and try to keep several thousand each of 45acp and 9mm on hand. When I run low on them and can't find any, I usually resort to paying the Montana Gold high prices, but I try to avoid them.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
I recently picked up 100# of WC844 at a really good price, with no shipping, hazmat or sales tax.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I purchase on an ongoing basis and pick up items when available. After waiting six months for powder to show up in my area I bought ten pounds last weekend. I had bought brass a week previous and bullets and primers in Nov.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I purchase in bulk when I can and buy whats available when it is priced good, and cast as much as possible.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I watch the classified on a couple of forums and have got a lot of good deals on bullets over the years. Some one will stop reloading for a certain caliber or be cleaning up there gun room. A lot of bullets I have bought for half of what they sell for at the moment, the seller usually bought them for less years ago but bullets stored correctly won't go bad.
Only thing you have to act fast.:D

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like everyone is pretty similar. I don't have equivalent quantities of components either.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
I have powder; I can always find brass and bullets; I buy primers as I have funds, even if only 1,000.......

Primers.
Buy primers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I bought some brass years ago when I first started reloading,,Now I could shoot for a while even if I go to matches and don't pick up any brass ..
If you buy primers buy 20,000 at a time bullets and powder the same way ..
Pick up all the brass you are allowed to at a match..
Plan for the next shoot.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I recently picked up 100# of WC844 at a really good price, with no shipping, hazmat or sales tax.

100#'s!!!!!!! WOW. What do you use WC844 for?

How many jugs did that take?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I keep a 6 months' shooting worth of components in reserve; that's 4 powders, brass for 4 calibers, 8 bullets, 3 primers. When I am near the end of my current 6 months' supply, I start looking for another 6 months' "unit" of those components. That gives me 6 months to find them. A good deal can cause me to buy a little more, or buy a little early.

Bottom line at any one time I have ~6 to ~12 months' worth of components on hand.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
100#'s!!!!!!! WOW. What do you use WC844 for?

How many jugs did that take?
I use it for loading .223s. It uses just about the same load data as H335. Didn't take but two 50# containers...no jugs involved.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Obviously you can do it a variety of ways
Maybe it’s best to ask yourself some questions
Like do you have a priority in one or more calibers?
Do all calibers you shoot have to be inventoried the same amount?
How much shooting do you do per year?
My formula is three years’ worth of components inventory minimum for my “preferred” calibers.
(Which for me is most of the 35 I load for)

How much of a financial commitment do you want, or can you make to your shooting requirements?
This is more important of a decision than many take the time to consider.
Whether you like it or not, the ability to shoot on a regular basis and not be impacted by market change requires a certain level of financial commitment.
Otherwise the goal will never be reached.

All of this helps the decision making process.
Years ago when the 10MM was on near life support status I was buying large amounts of brass anytime I could find it, new, primed, pulled brass, anything.
My 10MM brass inventory has grown to over 50K pieces new stock so now I just maintain the inventory with a few small adds from time to time as this is more or less a lifetime supply in this caliber.

Other calibers are more forgiving
I’ve got .38 Special brass I’ve shot for over twenty years, so in this caliber having a huge inventory makes no sense.
Besides, this allows me to stock up on .357 brass and if needed trim these to fit the .38 Special so here applying financial resources to other areas of the inventory makes more sense.
Same applies to the 44 Special, why have tons of money and inventory in 44 Special brass if you shoot for both the 44 Special and 44 Magnum?
Put the money in the Magnum brass.

I load for the old 40-65 Winchester; I can make these from 45-70 brass
Since I load for the 45-70 I maintain a reasonable inventory of the 45-70 to cover both calibers
But since the 40-65 is loaded to such moderate pressures the cases last a long time anyway.

So look at what you shoot and see where you can make adjustments to maximize the effect of your inventory build.

Like WEZ says, the key is primers, always have enough primers for every caliber you shoot
Here, even a moderate shooter should consider at least one years’ worth of primers for each caliber or primer type they shoot, especially in your main or preferred calibers.

My current inventory is full to maintain my “minimum” requirements and then some, but recently I ran into an old guy at the range selling some S&B LP primers at cost because he didn’t like them.
So I picked up 10,000 LP for 210.00
I don’t “need” them, but at 21.00 per thousand why not?
So never turn a blind eye to a deal.

But if you want to shoot on a regular basis, my advice, especially during times of market upheaval, is to focus on one or two of your preferred calibers first and (if you can make the financial commitment) start building a three year inventory.

Doesn’t need to happen “overnight” but at least you have a focus point in your plan.
Then just add from time to time to maintain your magazine or start another “build” with secondary calibers.

Finally, the greatest benefit of having a solid inventory is it not only allows you to then take advantage of “deals” when they pop up….it protects you from having to “take” the bad “deals” because you had no inventory.

This approach has worked for me for decades.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
In the old days, I bought componets as needed since prices were always stable and could get delivery in 3 to 4 days. Since 2008, I keep at least a 6 month supply of everything to prevent having to pay abnormal prices. When I see items at a good price, I buy them. I've found that if you buy at a dood price, you can always trade or sell to other local reloaders to keep inventory balanced.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts