1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just made a post reply at the LB part of the forum, and it made me want to post here.

when stripping a gun (no music please ;P )
i was taught to take the bushing off first with a tool. however, i quickly figured that you can pull the slide back a little and take the slide stop out, then pull the slide from the frame.

it seems so much easier, and does not require a tool.

i realize that not all full length guide rods let you do this (another reason for me to hate full guides)!

how do you strip your 1911

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I'm a full length guide rod kinda guy, so I do use the bushing wrench. You have discovered the only "disadvantage" IMHO to using them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
With my Kimber Custom Target, I have found I can remove the slide stop and pull the slide off (and I do have a full length guide rod) and go from there. However, and this is just a personal choice, I like to loosen the bushing so that I do not have the tension on the spring while doing this. With my luck, someday I'll have pieces and parts go flying all over the room if I don't loosen the bushing first.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Stock model 70 MK IV. I don't use/need any tools. I push the slide out of battery, which takes the tension off the bushing splines, rotate the bushing until it's clear of the plug. Plug comes out, slide goes forward, slide stop comes out, etc.

On those occasions that I work on a A1 or pre-1970 model, I try the same thing before I get out my bushing wrench. Haven't needed the doggone thing yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts