1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a very nice IWB holster (DeSantis) and have been playing around with different placements, and due in part to my already wide hips, have found that slightly behind the hip to be the most comfortable and the best and not printing with a variety of clothing. The disadvantage is I have to reach further back to reach the grip, and it is probably not as good for retention (if I was "made" and somewanted to make a grab)

Curious what the rest of you all do. Of course if I cant' conceal it and it isn't comfortable I won't wear it.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
That's where it goes

Proficiency, comfort and confidence will come with practice and experience..:D

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm also rather wide around the waist and place it just behind the hip. The key is to pick one place and have it there ALWAYS. Then once you have that place, practice drawing from there as much as possible. You want to KNOW where that gun is.

In general retention isn't a huge consideration in concealment leather. If the gun stays securely in place, retention is up to you no matter what. Not even a thumb break can be counted on in a real gun grab. The chances of you being "made" and then the subject of a grab are slim unless you think you're being targeted by a specific threat/person who means to do you harm specifically for some reason. If that's the case, they probably know you have a gun anyway.

My recommendation is place the gun where its comfortable and most concealable and don't get made. Then practice your draw as much as you can. If you're concerned about a grab, go to some training in weapons retention and if it ever happens, fight like your life depends on it, because it does!

Also, the chances that the first IWB you bought will fit you the best are 50/50. I've had good luck with DeSantis, but other's haven't. If the holster isn't working for you, try another until you find what works for you.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, strong side was assumed. 3 O'clock only works if you are RH. I'm a lefty so 9 O'clock is better:) Actually the behind the hip I'm referring to about is 8-830.....

·
Registered
327 Posts
strong side 4:30 or as I've said before, kissing my kidney. It works for me, but as many have said already, play around with it at home and see what feels best for you. That's what is best.

·
Premium Member
20,440 Posts
1500 hrs for me. It's more comfortable at 1600, but tends to print something awful when I bend down.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Behind the hip, I thinkat 4:30, in a Rosen ARG. I can reach for stuff on high shelves and even bend slightly at the waist and not print. Toe touches are out, though...

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
ALL OVER

My most fav IWB placement is on my weak side (left) butt forward.

I can draw using either hand, drive without being poked, and it leaves room for another (bigger -- like a Redhawk:) on my strong (right) side.

BIG EYES when the gun appears left-handed: IME (4" Security Six).

FWIW, I gotta wear a 1911 in this position cocked-n-unlocked; good thing it has a grip safety, ay?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sparks Watch Six at about 3:30 but if I'm just tucking it into my waithband to walk from the jeep to the apart. it's around 4:30 (kidney) as it rides better.

Steelheart

1 - 20 of 26 Posts