1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield loaded. I want to center the rear sight in the dovetail. Is there a way of measuring this? Usually with my guns, I just do this visually from by looking at the top of the slide, but I want a more precise method.

I've read of a method wherein you put the slide on it's side on a table and measuring the side of the sight from the table but I found this difficult to do because the slide is not secured.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Most people worry more about sighting in a pistol so that POA is the same as POI, which hopefully it would be in the center.
Shoot it off a rest and then just use a brass punch and hammer to tap it to zero. A little tape on the side of the sight wouldn't hurt either so you don't mar it up. Just check to see if there is a set screw first and loosen it and then retighten when you are done.
Your eyes are probably the best 'measure' you'll ever get anyway if 'centering' is your only objective though.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I assume that you gun has the Novak rear sight?? If so try using the depth gauge on your dial caliper, measure the amount of inset.

May I hire you as our QC guy? :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts