1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some question on the accuracy and reliability of these guns. Need some input as I am considering adding one to my 10mm collection(2 Kimbers and a S&W 6 1/2 " revolver, also owned both Glocks). Why does it seem everyone sends them off to have them tweaked? Am I missing something here? Are they good shooters and reliable for average use? I had 2 other Dan Wessons and wasn't really happy with either- a 9 and a 10mm. The 10 had a stupid hump on the barrel and the 9 looked like it was put together by
people who snuck in the factory on their lunch break. Sorry, but true. I did buy them though, but then we all make not so good decisions sometimes.
Just need some good info before I drop another $900. Thanks

·
Registered
937 Posts
Mine ran fine right out of the box. However, as with most 1911 lovers, I had mine "dialed in". Why? Because we can :rock:

Seriously, it's usually more out of personal preference than anything else. Remember...Dan Wessons are not custome guns...they are mass produced. As such, they will not be as perfectly fit as a Dave Severns or other reputable gunsmith can make them. They are, however, FAR better from the factory than anything else I've seen in the price range.

JMHO....Bob

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
HiVel:
Interesting post. IMO, you are missing something. The newer Dan Wessons are very high quality factory equipment. While they are meant to run out of the box, many savvy shooters and collectors wish to maximize the gun's potential, by having someone knowledgeable in the 1911 design go through the gun and massage every part, as necessary. Think of it as "fine tuning". That way, the owner can spend his/her time shooting, as opposed to diagnosing, tweaking, and wondering. In my experience, most folks would rather shoot than tweak. Cannot blame them for that! :)

Speaking (only) for myself, many of my customers choose to buy direct from me, and have me perform certain reliability or custom modifications immediately, before ever shipping the gun to them. This as opposed to shipping the gun back and forth across the country to either another 'smith or to the factory for warranty repair work. My out of state customers also find that the sales tax savings pays a significant dividend. I'll let you add up all the numbers and come to your own conclusion.

Bottom line, the new DW's are excellent guns; IMO, easily the best value out there among the factory offerings. Keep in mind, however, that they are still factory-produced, as opposed to hand-built. Many simply want their factory gun to be the best that it can be. HTH. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
+1 on Bobs & Dave's posts

I've a CBOB (45ACP) & Razorback (10mm) absolutely stock, no mods (save heavy recoil spring added to the RZ-10 due to hot loads) and they run flawlessly. That being said, I do plan to have my RZ-10 customized (again, primarily due to hot loads).

The reasons for customization and tuning have nothing to do with problems. Quite the contrary. For a parallel examine the massive after-market for auto performance and customization products. To imply that this practice is an indictment of the OEM's is missing the concept altogether.

The 10 had a stupid hump...
Hey - watch it now. Some of us are kinda sensitive here.

;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DW are really OK

I am aware of the custom gun services and excellent gunsmiths that optimize these guns-what I got was a 9mm that had loose extractor that turned about 10 degrees due to loose parts in the back end of the slide-the gun worked OK but was not up to my fussy standards. The 10 mm worked great but just was not as accurate as my Kimber Target 10mm and just seemed to be a bit clunky or rough if you will-both DW 's worked OK. I bought the 10 because I could not find a 10mm in a 1911 and had heard the DW was pretty good. I bought the Kimber later and still have it along with an Eclipse II. They are good looking guns and work well with no massaging at all. The only thing about the 10mm was I did not like the hump on the slide of the DW from a cosmetic standpoint. I never could figure out or get anyone from thefactory to tell me if my guns were cast or forged and what the different models were about. What is a Razorback etc......? No catalog or descriptions of what I was buying. Anyhow I will probably buy a CBOB
after Xmas and get it optimized !! I like almost all guns and I have high standards as to the quality and performance of my keepers. Thanks

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Understood. I think if you step up to the Razorback, CBOB, etc., you will be quite pleased. Take some time and do a 'Search' on this forum. You will find reams of information about the Razorback and other top-shelf DWs. Will also find some 'for fun' Ransom Rest testing, pitting DWs against Kimbers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts