1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm somewhat considering selling a few lower end/"don't shoot that much" firearms in for some cash to get one of the new S&W Performance Center 1911s. I'm looking at the full size stainless model (the ones with the lightening cuts in the slide).

How does this compare with other pistols such as the Kimber Grand Raptor II and even a Les Baer Premier II?

I'm reading that the S&W is a very well made handgun, but want to make sure I'm looking at all the options. The Smith seems to go for around $1,300 (as does the Kimber); the Baer tends to go for a few hundred more.

So... is the Smith truly a good contender in the sub-$1500 range?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I ran an E-Series Smith 1911 and I think that series might be the best value on the planet. The gun was smooth, accurate and it ran flawlessly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had a Sc E series and I now currently own the Bobtail PC. I love both guns but the PC is a tighter gun all around in fit and finish and accuracy.The only thing I can say is I wish the PC came with night sights, but that is easily fixed.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
I own the Smith Bobtail PC. It's a great shooter and has one-of-a-kind good looks. It's a great bang-for-your buck weapon for what your get. I own a number of Kimbers and am happy with them but they are not nearly as tight fitted as the Smith. I also own a Baer HW Monolith and it is my favorite of the bunch. I'm most accurate with it and custom ordered it with exactly what I wanted and so it's not surprising that I feel the way I do. It also cost twice what the Smith cost. Is it twice the gun the Smith is? I'd have to say yes...after all, I did choose to pay this price and Baer definitely delivered and it fits me like a glove. And it should since I ordered it built for my specific needs. And having a weapon built for you costs money and time but it is worth it, no regrets.

Will this be the same for you? Only you can answer that but I have to say that the PC is an excellent handgun and I can't imagine that you'd be unhappy with it.

Stay safe,
Rick

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a 1/2 rail and a "full" rail SA TRP, my Colt Mark IV Series '70 Gold Cup, and a SIG 1911 TACOPS. I don't have a Kimber nor do I have any other, even more costly customs as mentioned. However, I also was fortunate to find one of these bad azz boys and it's the most comfortable pistol that I own. Don't get me wrong. The other pistols are all fine pistols but this is one good looking, best feeling, tight, and accurate pistol. I absolutely love it! Purty, isn't it . . .

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
STOP SHOWING PICS OF THE BOBTAIL!!!!

You are making it very hard for me to talk myself into getting a loan to buy a 1967 to 1972 panel truck.

LOL. Keep showing this thing off.....I am fearful if I don't get the PC soon, they'll stop making them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
the only problem I see with the PC bobtail is I need another one, I have a son and a son-in-law that will inherit them, I will never sell them so therefore I need a second so they will not fight over one.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I made the plunge and have a brand new full size Performance Center 1911 coming to me. I heavily debated between this or a Les Baer, but in the end I couldn't resist all the great things I'm reading about the SW1911PC and the fact that S&W's warranty service gets great reviews and even pays shipping both ways. I've also watched some videos on the Performance Center and how they fit and build the 1911's, and it's nice to know they have a true custom shop that is separate from their main line and is staffed with a few individuals who are hand fitting and testing parts one by one.

Here's a pic of the actual pistol I have coming to me. Can't wait to get my hands on it and see what it can do at the range.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Love my S&W PC 'round-butt' Commander format (just like the one IN-SIGHT has). After seeing your photo of the full-size, though, I may just have to put that model on my 'to-buy' short list. I'm beginning to think 1911s are like they said in that old potato chip commercial - "You can't have just one"!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I am having trouble deciding btw the "standard" bobtail and the PC version....I may have to get both.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I picked up my RB Performance Center pistol yesterday morning. I put 200 rounds of mixed ammo through it with no malfunctions with factory mags and aftermarket. It was as accurate as any other 1911 I own in my limited test. My initial impression is a fine carry gun and will become that for me.

Pros:
Eye catching

Light weight

Reliable

Slide to frame fit is exceptional

Cons:
Thumb safety has already scratched the finish on the left side of the frame.

Hammer is dragging slightly on the frame giving a gritty feel when manually cocking.

Noticeable side to side play in both trigger and grip safety

The factory mags detract from the contour of the grip frame( I have already replaced them with flat based mags).

There is no reference in the manual to the Briley Spherical bushing and how to remove and reinstall it. I was not familiar with it and just happened to remember a comment in a magazine article on how to do it.

I would have hoped a pistol handled by only 4 people during the assembly process would not have the fitting issues I have noted.

Now, having said all this I am still happy with my purchase. The cosmetic problem is not worth addressing with Smith since this will be a carry gun and will get dinged and scratched during normal use. I just wish it hadn't shown up in the first 24 hours.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Nice write-up, and sweet pistol, congrats. So far, I have nothing negative to say about my S&Ws. They're extremely well made and very accurate. For the money, I think they're tough to beat.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
I picked up my RB Performance Center pistol yesterday morning. I put 200 rounds of mixed ammo through it with no malfunctions with factory mags and aftermarket. It was as accurate as any other 1911 I own in my limited test. My initial impression is a fine carry gun and will become that for me.

Pros:
Eye catching

Light weight

Reliable

Slide to frame fit is exceptional

Cons:
Thumb safety has already scratched the finish on the left side of the frame.

Hammer is dragging slightly on the frame giving a gritty feel when manually cocking.

Noticeable side to side play in both trigger and grip safety

The factory mags detract from the contour of the grip frame( I have already replaced them with flat based mags).

There is no reference in the manual to the Briley Spherical bushing and how to remove and reinstall it. I was not familiar with it and just happened to remember a comment in a magazine article on how to do it.

I would have hoped a pistol handled by only 4 people during the assembly process would not have the fitting issues I have noted.

Now, having said all this I am still happy with my purchase. The cosmetic problem is not worth addressing with Smith since this will be a carry gun and will get dinged and scratched during normal use. I just wish it hadn't shown up in the first 24 hours.
The bushing is removed for cleaning just like any other bushing. Once you have the bushing removed, you'll see a brass colored ring that moves when you stick your finger inside the bushing. That ring is what makes this a Briley Bushing. This ring doesn't need to come out for cleaning but if you want it out, stick your finger back in the bushing and rotate the ring. This lines it up with some notches in the bushing and allows you to remove it. This ring is not brass by the way but steel like the rest of the bushing. If it were brass, the rubbing that takes place between the ring and the barrel would wear it away since steel is harder than brass.

Stay safe,
Rick

·
Registered
391 Posts
STOP SHOWING PICS OF THE BOBTAIL!!!!

You are making it very hard for me to talk myself into getting a loan to buy a 1967 to 1972 panel truck.

LOL. Keep showing this thing off.....I am fearful if I don't get the PC soon, they'll stop making them.
Ha, I felt the same way and hurried getting mine when I did. The more others showed theirs, it gave me a good excuse and made me hurry even more . . . hint, hint ;).

·
Registered
92 Posts
These things are awesome, but I can't find a full size for the life of me. I'm pretty sure that this is how a crack head feels when he can't get a rock. I need to hurry up before I make a mistake and buy something else. I've held a few sigs, ruger, kimbers, and sa, but I know I'll still want this 5" PC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts