1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have handled a TRP stainless in a shop and it felt really nice and looked even better. I have never owned a high dollar 1911, but I am thinking about it. I have also read a lot of reviews about the TRP and all seem to agree that it is a nice gun for the money.
At a street price of about $1050, hoe do you all think it holds up and compares to other 1911's that may cost hundreds more? I am talking about models from Baer, Wilson, STI and the rest of the usual suspects. With so many models to choose from, it is really hard to narrow down the best bang for the buck.
What are you likes and dislikes about the TRP? The only thing that I didn;t think I liked was the checkering on the frontstrap at 20 lpi, it felt a little harsh. Other than that, I could find nothing else negative to say about it, it seemed a fine gun.
So, would you feel inadequate if you were at the range with your TRP and the guy on one side had a Wilson CQB and on the other side a Baer Premier 2.
Would you buy the TRP again or would you save a bit more and go with one of the BIG dollar boys?

Nala

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
My SS TRP is far more hand gun than I expected and I couldn't be happier. Accuracy is dead on, only FTF I have had were do to my own fault and OAL length of reloaded rounds.

As for the front strap checkering I had simular thoughts but it is nothing to worry about and you wont even feel it.

As for someone with a Wilson or Baer.......If they didn't like the fact I had a SS TRP I would just open the pistol case and get out the TRP Operator :D

Karsten

·
Registered
893 Posts
My TRP (SS) has been excellent. It runs flawlessly and is very accurate.

As for this question:

So, would you feel inadequate if you were at the range with your TRP and the guy on one side had a Wilson CQB and on the other side a Baer Premier 2.
With all due respect, my self esteem is not affected by what other people shoot :)

The other two guns you mention have fit and finish characteristics that generally are better than those of a TRP (though some TRPs are very well finished indeed).

The Wilson has some better internal parts as of this year. The slide to frame fit might be better depending on which TRP you are looking at.

Personal observation has quite severely put me off of Baer pistols so no comments there other than I would take my TRP over a Thunder Ranch model all day long after the things I have seen.

Most off the shelf TRPs will certainly hold their own when compared to competitor products in fit and finish within the general $900-1200 price range, and my specific example is as good in terms of accuracy and reliability as any 1911 in the $1200-1700 range. In my hands it is just as accurate as my SA Professional. Some days more so...

One item you may pick up in my post relates to what in my personal opinion is the somewhat uneven production quality of TRPs (and factory-as opposed to custom shop- SAs in general).

I would personally try to look at and handle any specific factory SA I intended to purchase, because are not as good as they should be or can be, while many are truly excellent out of the box. I imagine that is true for most all factory 1911s.:cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
All TRP’s are simi -customs major parts are numbered and hand fitted prior to coating. I feel the Armory Coat pistols tend to be a little better they receive more hand fitting in the assembly , numbering and reassemble process than the stainless pistols. The fit on carbon steel is usually superior to stainless no matter who manufactures it. I know SA ‘s product codes are confusing all pistols with a PC at the start of their product code are custom shop pistols. Any good 1911 Smith can take a TRP check the barrel lock up top and bottom, re-link and fit a .200 slide stop. Turning your “simi -drop in” match barrel in to a hard fit match barrel that you will have to fire 500-1000 rounds for break in and will be the equal of the TRP Pro and superior to a Wilson or LBC IMO due to the higher initial cost. The TRP Operator pistol IMO is the best Tactical / Fighting pistol available at any price. One of the great advantages of a high end 1911 is its ability to be fine tuned to the shooter and the load. Allowing the hooter to progress. For those willing to put the extra effort in to a 1911 it will reward you in allowing you to reach speed and accuracy levels previously unattainable. I suggest you read the following threads :
Questions on new TRP

·
Registered
280 Posts
a little of subject

don't get wrapped up in what the other guy is shooting. If I am shooting a sub $200.00 Markov and out shoot you I win. If you have invested in your TRP it is a quality pistol, maybe not to everybodies liking...who cares, if you like it learn to shoot it well and all the rest gets sorted out on target.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It pains me to say it...and I'll probably get flamed for it, but the TRP is probably the best, current production 1911 in the $900-$1500 range.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Well I am new to the 1911 world, but not new to firearms entirely. And I own the TRP operator and I LOVE IT. The feel ,wieght, and accuracy of it are killer, and I am not very proficient with gun smithing skills yet. Which is great because my TRp came with all kinds of modifications right out of the box.. It is kinda big for me to carry, but thats why I bought a micro compact hehehehe ;)

But ya man I love the trp, and it has done me nothing but awsome!!!! But I have never owned a top of the line kimber or any pistol other than these in the 1000 and above price range so I am limited. But I can tell you I am not sorry I bought it :)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The TRP Operator is hand-fitted.
The standard TRP apparently has some hand-fitting, but much less than th Operator.
That's reflected in the price difference between the two guns, of course.

My SS TRP is a good gun.
It nonetheless required some gunsmithing, and wasn't perfect out of the box, yet it still seems to be a pretty nice gun for the money ~ $1050.

My Les Baer Stinger also required some gunsmith work, albeit a bit less than the TRP.

I've not found a perfect out-of-the-box 1911 myself, though folks who own the TRP Operator seem satisfied.
It obviously depends on how easily you're satisfied, too. Most guns require at least some dehorning and reliability work, IME.

Best.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Allowing the hooter to progress.
It causes me pain, but I must say it.

I'm very interested in any information you have on progressive hooters.

:biglaugh:

Now that we have that out of the way...
any good 1911 Smith can take a TRP check the barrel lock up top and bottom, re-link and fit a .200 slide stop.
We disagree. A longer link is not, according to what I've read, a good way to change vertical lock up.

As I understand it, the way to change vertical lock up is to install a new barrel, and cut the new bottom lugs so the barrel is supported properly when it's in full lock up.

A barrel that rides on the link instead of the bottom lugs will generate other problems.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I dont see how one thousand dollars isnt high end. As for somone paying more money. The best shooter in my range has a Ballester Molina he bought for 150 bucks. The gun helps but its still the shooter that makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
"A longer link is not, according to what I've read, a good way to change vertical lock up.

As I understand it, the way to change vertical lock up is to install a new barrel, and cut the new bottom lugs so the barrel is supported properly when it's in full lock up.

A barrel that rides on the link instead of the bottom lugs will generate other problems."

I believe you to be entirely correct, Jammer Six! Good point.

The arcane subject of 1911 barrel-fitting is only limitedly understood by myself, nonetheless it's quite clear that the link is properly a non-stressed part, and that proper barrel lock up doesn't depend at all upon the link, rather on the lower lugs, barrel hood (usually at the upper lugs but sometimes also at the hood face) and barrel bushing.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The TRP isn't "high-end", it's "low-intermediate" in the current market.

"Low end" is a box-stock pistol for $400-$500.

"High-end" is a custom pistol with a price tag of $3000-$5000 or even more. Some Wilson models cost $3000, and they're just "production custom"!

Oh, well.
In the case of the 1911, "old tech" equates to "intensive hand fitting" for the nicest examples, hence the price is more than you'd expect for a gun whose design is nearly a century old.

Best.

·
Registered
110 Posts
jammer six, sawbones
That would be “Shooters” the S must have went in to the black hole of cyberspace when I hit the post icon. As to my not knowing how to fit a 1911 barrel I was not giving a detail step by step in the post rather a general statement as to assessing the factory set up and doing any required adjustments to optimize the lock up. In my experience the main reasons barrel links break are:
1. To short of a link causing the barrel lug not to contact the frame meaning the link absorbs all or most of the rearward unlocking force. The short link also reduces the amount of lock up between the upper locking lugs and the slide meaning a quicker unlock and more force transferred to the pistol instead of being absorbed in the locked up phase of the firing cycle.
2. To much slop between the link hole and the slide stop shaft so that when the gun cycles force is transferred to the link and it brakes. Slide stop pins should be .198 to .200 ( best found in the Wilson bullet proof) to avoid this.
3. Over cut bottom barrel lug so that it dose not contact the slide stop pin when locked up meaning the link is taking all of the force required to lock and unlock the barrel to the slide causing the link to fail.
4. Some combination of 1-3.
When you have things like this happening the cycle timing of the pistol is all wrong and can lead to other parts failing. I repair hundreds of weapons a year as a military armorer. As a off duty hobby I build full custom 1911, 2011 and AR type weapons. In addition I do packages on the same types + Sig ,Glock,PO and H&K. I only do side work for Active Duty Spec Ops, LEO, or USPSA competitors In all cases I have to have known you personally for a
minimum of 2 years and consider you a friend. Bottom line all weapons I work on need to work and do.
Out
2011BLDR

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you were to plot price and performace grapically...taking into account the wide range of model 1911 manufacturers I would venture to say that the TRP would have a very attractive price : performance ratio...much better than say the $3000 wilsons or even the SA custom shop guns. The production Les Baers and Kimber would likely be in pretty close. I feel once you get above the TRP range, you're getting very small gains in performance for alot more money...but take pride in the great purchases you make regardless of the price. A trained operator with a loaded, well serviced, and familiar Mil-Spec is going to do the same thing as with a $3500 custom gun when the proverbial feces hits the air conditioning.

just my $.02 and here's to reviving a really dead post :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
My TRP Operator is by far the best gun I have ever shot or owned. In addition that that though, I still want a Springfield Professional or Nighthawk GRP to add to my collection.

At ~$1050 there is nothing as good as the TRP, except for maybe the Kimber warrior(which is on my list too, but further on down) and Stil Lawman.

You are just as cool as a shooter walking in with a Nighthawk or Wilson, because you have almost the same quality pistol at 40% less price and if you buy ammo with all the money you saved, you could probably shot just as good groups with the TRP as a Nighthawk could. I will definitely test this.:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm relatively new to the 1911 world, I've had my Armory Kote TRP for about a month and a half. It's got about 300-400 rds through it not much I know but enough to know this pistol is of very high quality and will outshoot me all day long which isn't tough:p It's fed everything I've put through it, the only problem was with magazine induced FTF's it hasn't missed a beat with my Wilson or McCormick mags, it'll even feed empty cases more often than not, neither of my other 1911's will do that. I like the Wilsons and Nighthawks but can't even come close to affording one! Does this detract from my TRP? No way I love it, it's the best pistol that I own, and I shoot it well, what else can you ask for? The name on the slide isn't important to me, performance is!

·
Registered
279 Posts
love it

My TRP is my favorite pistol. I have only had mine for a month or so. I've been shooting 1911's and other pistols for a while. I'd give up just about any of my other guns before my TRP. Through my experience, if you have trouble shooting a TRP, it's probably not the gun.

A good buddy of mine has a Wilson CQB. I love that gun too, however, when shooting it, i don't really see a difference. Especially nothing that would make me want to pay that much more for a CQB. That's not to say the Wilson is bad.

To sum it up, my TRP has ended my 1911 search..... at least for a while.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a TRP Operator and though I'm not unhappy with it I feel like I could have gotten better value getting an inexpensive loaded model (customized at a later time) or a semi-custom Les Baer or Wilson Combat. The piece of mind of non-MIM parts would have been worth it to me. As far as shooting it goes however, it is plenty accurate and a pleasure. The things I would consider is that the Armory Kote finish is not very strong IMO. The extended magwell is an attached piece and the actual magwell that is on the frame is not beveled unlike the loaded models. Lastly as previously mentioned I'm not a big fan of MIM parts and paying so much for a gun that contains them. BTW, my TRP is with Springfield right now having the trigger mech (hammer, sear, disconnector) replaced (EGW and C&S parts. *not due to breakage*), Brown ambi-safety installed (factory MIM safety broke), weld-on magwell, and hard chrome finish.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think they are almost a great deal. I'd rather see them "ditch" the magwell and checkering and use that "money" for their "tool-steel" trigger parts for the same price.

It may or may not not be a fair trade for them, but if they are spending any time(money) on fitting the MIM trigger parts, that's "wasted" labor IMHO.

Then you would have a "fitted" 1911 with a match bbl, whatever that really means :cool: , quality trigger parts and I "assume" they do a general reliabililty job on these since most of what I read is very good concerning function.

Their machine cut checkering prices are very reasonable from the custom shop and you have a choice of 20,25 and 30 LPI. Allow consumers to "order" their choice for the extra money, if they want checkering at all.

And while they are "at it", carbon steel for their Trophy Match and "deluxe cut" Bo-mar cut. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts