1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used GI Longslide recently and this “peening” didn’t show up in the pics. The previous
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood Bumper Vehicle door

Netbook Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget

Hood Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory

Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Vehicle door

owner claims to not have noticed it. I believed him, kinda seemed new to 1911s.
so I send it back to Alex and he shapes the slide stop and repairs the slide. No charge.
clearly this was not from any kind of abuse and I didn’t quite get an answer on how these marks could have been made….
Any gunsmiths care to explain?

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I picked up a used GI Longslide recently and this “peening” didn’t show up in the pics. The previous View attachment 642976
View attachment 642973
View attachment 642975
View attachment 642974
View attachment 642972
owner claims to not have noticed it. I believed him, kinda seemed new to 1911s.
so I send it back to Alex and he shapes the slide stop and repairs the slide. No charge.
clearly this was not from any kind of abuse and I didn’t quite get an answer on how these marks could have been made….
Any gunsmiths care to explain?
Mexican carry?😃

·
Administrator
79,737 Posts
The only times I have ever seen peening that bad was on soft unhardened WW1-era slides.

Reactions: Boge and 4barrel

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I picked up a used GI Longslide recently and this “peening” didn’t show up in the pics....
First, I've neer heard of a GI Longslide. The government certainly did not issue such. It that a particular brand's model designation?

The peening is evidence of assembly instead of fitting. Every surface that touches another at any point in the cycle of operation may need attention t oensure correct mating and prevention of wear/peening. Yours obviously did not get that attention, just like many more that I've seen. It is nothing that cannot be corrected assuming that the parts are of good quality (proper dimensions and hardness). Get it fixed and don't loose any more sleep over it.

By the way, very attractive gun.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First, I've neer heard of a GI Longslide. The government certainly did not issue such. It that a particular brand's model designation?

The peening is evidence of assembly instead of fitting. Every surface that touches another at any point in the cycle of operation may need attention t oensure correct mating and prevention of wear/peening. Yours obviously did not get that attention, just like many more that I've seen. It is nothing that cannot be corrected assuming that the parts are of good quality (proper dimensions and hardness). Get it fixed and don't loose any more sleep over it.

By the way, very attractive gun.
Thanks! GI is Guncrafter Induntries. Somewhere between an Ed Brown and Nighthawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,180 Posts
Slide stop head harder than the slide? Also, going by the shadow of the slide stop in the first pic, it looks like it is not flush with the frame, or it is very thick, Maybe it is being held like that by a misplaced detent in the stop head for the plunger tip. You can see on the slide where the peening is on the outer corners of the stop and takedown notches. There's a lot going on there, and just 'fixing' the slide is not going to stop it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Slide stop head harder than the slide? Also, going by the shadow of the slide stop in the first pic, it looks like it is not flush with the frame, or it is very thick, Maybe it is being held like that by a misplaced detent in the stop head for the plunger tip. You can see on the slide where the peening is on the outer corners of the stop and takedown notches. There's a lot going on there, and just 'fixing' the slide is not going to stop it.
Alex worked the slide stop pin over and simply blended the peened parts. He seemed to be comfortable with the fix just didn’t get into detail on the “how”. I didn’t want to press him on it. Busy guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,180 Posts
The WWI slides were not hardened. The WWII slides were spot-hardened at the major stress points. The fully-hardened slide by Colt appeared after the war. Remington Rand was also working on a 'hard slide' but when the government cut off war production, it stopped right there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts