1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys.

This is NOT a plug but I just got a WWI Colt reissue in for stock. But when you 1911 types like me get a chance. Take a look a real close look, at a WWI 1911 of anyones and look at all of the improvements, fine detail, craftsmanship, skill, and how the basic design is the same but the detail, function, and any and all possible improvements to the frame, action, slide have been made.

It is really amazing how the builders of guns has improved the gun or the design of the gun to the point of a piece of art.

When one compares then to now one understands why the 1911 has maintained it position in the firearms history.

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
I'm confused. Are you saying the old ones or the new ones are better? :confused:

It's not a fair comparison if you're comparing a mid-WW1 Colt to a new one. The WW1 guns were made in a very hurried fashion, with production approaching 2200 a day which by 1918 standards was phenomenal.

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The one I have in stock is a New Issue of the old model gun. (again NO plug)

Anyway, take a look at one and notice the modifications of the last 95 years, checkering sights, barrels, lock up, trigger, beavertails, design of hammers, safeties, accuracy, function, fit, finishes available, ejection ports, quality of steel used, now types of steel, alloys used, and the many, many other mods whether necessary, needed, wanted, or not.

It is very interesting to compare.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I agree with maxmantra - what hasn't changed it the interesting part.

We just got in another Colt WWI reissue 1911 - and it is a beauty! As I examined it I realized that if I was going to a fight, I wouldn't feel any better or worse off with it in my holster than if I had one of my full custom 1911s. They both would do the job quite well.

Rather cool when a 90 year old anything is still "Taking Care of Business" better than newer designs of today.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements" - from a mid-1850's Colt Newspaper Ad. More True today than 150 years ago!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Question for you dealers out there - are the Colt WWI repros available with a factory fired shell casing? Its a requirement for Maryland purchase.

The other MD law is for an integral safety lock which can be handled by swapping in a Springfield mainspring housing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts