1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am long time shooter who eventually wants to build a 1911 (I am purchasing books/videos people have recommended and we'll see from there).

In the mean time however, I was thinking I might like an ambi safety on my current kimber pro carry. So the question is, is this something that can easily be achieved by myself or should I have a gunsmith do it?

I am also looking at extended slide stops. Does anyone know if the Wilson extended stop will fit a pro carry without smithing of some sort?

Please bear with if these are dumb questions *grin*. I am just learning this stuff, but am truly motivated to figure it out. I love projects like these.

-Andy

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've done one thumb safety on a 1911 myself, with reasonable sucess. I went very slowly removing metal, following trial and error, and it came out OK.

I'll probably use a 'smith in the future, though, as it was very slow,and could have not worked out. It is very critical fitting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
atritch,

You shouldn't have any trouble as long as:

a. You MUST make sure you completely understand how the thumb safety works.

b. Take your time. Remove only the slightest amount of metal at a time.

As Mike pointed out, remove the grip safety for a better view.

As Mike also pointed out, forget the extended slide release. A solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great advice! I am curious about the comments on the extended slide release. I was looking for something that would be easier for me to release (I have small hands) in a single hand situation. Apparently I am barking up the wrong tree!

Thanks again for the advice, I'll try the ambi safety and see how it works!

-Andy

·
Registered
983 Posts
Extended slide releases stink bigtime.

Tried it - I have a wilson ext slide release gathering dust.

Your gun won't fit properly in a holster.

You'll accidentally keep tripping the thing and locking the slide back - you don't WANT your thumb to be able to reach the slide release (I believe cooper said it should be on the other side, out of the way!)

Think about when you flick the slide release - while it feels cool to do it, it usually follows ramming a mag home with the other hand - in which case you have a free hand to thumb the slide release (or rack the slide, whatever your fancy).

If you only have one free hand, how did you load the mag? If the gun is upside down between your knees, well, might as well rack it that way too!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Extended slide stops are like FLGR's..If you like then ,use them.. After all it is your
decision,your gun and your money to purchase
the parts..What is trendy is not always the
best for everyone..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just wondering how your thumb safety job turned out. I have 5 more days before I can pick my 1911 up and had planned on doing my own thumb safety job as well. If I don't I'd have to wait another 7-14 days before a smith out here in CA can get to it and that'll add another $75-100 to the cost of the pistol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Due to some work travel, I haven't had a chance to do it yet. I am hoping that will change in the next couple weeks.

-Andy

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did one on an old Essex frame that a Marine armoer put together for me. You have good advice as I did the removal of grip sfaety and all. When removing metal I would do one file stroke and try it, do another and try. You can always take metal off but if you go too far you can not put it on. A nice feature for competition and such.
The extended slide release, a waste of time and money.
Good luck

·
Registered
555 Posts
It's easier to fit a thumb safety when you have the original one as a blueprint. When you fit the new one, try to use the old one as a reference point.

I have an extended slide release (haven't really used it much) and it fits perfectly in my Kimber Pro Carry.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Anyone with an extended Wilson slide release, feel free to mail it to me...I can use one! Thanks! Don't want your drawers gettin' all dirtied up with too much unused stuff! BTW...same thing goes for any old magazines or holsters etc...send it all!!!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm with you, Gyp_c. I'll take all those crappy Wilson extended slide stops.
Wilson makes 2 styles of extended slide stops; wide or narrow paddles. I have used the narrow style as it doesn't stick out nearly as far as the wide style, and is well rounded so it doesn't snag on the draw, whether in a holster or not. Another source to check is with Pachmyer, who makes a narrow style as well. Have had no problems with either, and I do find them handy for dropping the slide quickly on a fresh mag. Have installed both styles on the wife's 1991A1 Compact, and not a hitch with either. She liked the narrow style a bit better, but no reliability issues ever came about with either style. As mentioned above, its all in what you like.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...I can find a "use" for anything...especially "free" anything

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
gyp_c,,,

Check your front porch, I sent you my two ex-wives,,,for FREE of course.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you can when the grip safety is out of the gun, scribe or use a fine tip type marker and etch a line along the sear onto the new safety while it is partially in the frame, that will give you a guide to start removing metal, and also use the orignal as a guide also. Use a single sided file, and go a little at a time. I have a bag of safeties that dont quite work, learning curve was long.....Good luck, DC

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Look at it this way.. it's a good excuse to start your gunsmithing file set!...

Just remember (BTDT) files only cut one way.
Push to cut, remove and place and push agian. Get a file card and some chalk. You can make magic with a good file and a light touch.

Don't feel silly if you get to a point where you are checking fit after ONE file stroke. You are doing it correctly if you do it that way.

Ref extended slide releases.... Great for bullseye as you don't have to shift your grip.. but you wouldn't use a bullseye gun for combat. IOW it depends on what you are using the weapon for.

Good Luck!

Tony G.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts