1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't mind trying to go about doing a ground up build of a 1911. Nothing too radical though. I plan on using this as starter project and a learning experience. I was wondering if any of you could recomend a slide/frame combo to go with that would require little if any fitting. I was thinking about a Caspian barstock or maybe a Chip McCormic slide/frame combo. This isn't going to be an overnight project or anything like that. I plan on doing some reading in books that discuss gunsmithing 1911 (any recomendations). As far as a trigger group goes, I was thinking of a Nowlin drop in kit. Am I being ambitious or is this how ya'll started out?

Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
you are in the right place. A matched slide and frame would be a big head start, and the trigger kit sounds good too. Throw in a Kart easyfit barrel and some grips and youre almost there. I am doing what you are thinking about, and it is great fun, although more expensive than starting with a base model 1911 from a quality maker. Spend a couple of days( really) reading this section, its time well spent. Also keep an eye on the for sale section, occasionally tools and jigs specfic to the 1911 come up, often at a really good deal.

Just remember that the only parts that are truly drop in are the ones you file, sand and stone, fitting is a major part of a build.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Building a 1911 is not hard but you will need some tools like a caliper, stones, files sear jig, maybe beavertail jig depending and a few other things. Also some good literature like the Kuhnhausen books is a good idea and do alot of research on the net.
Definately visit this sight below it details franks 1911 build, go to the progress link then sistema link on front page.
http://www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/

This other retard below also has some good info on fitting parts to a 1911
http://blindhogg.com/gunsmithing.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts