1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't reload as of yet but I am wanting to get into it with in the next year.

How hot do you reload? Up to hard ball specs? or maybe 185 SWC match at 780fps?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Personally speaking, I load for the best accuracy. I outgrew all other motivating factors a long time ago.

Obviously a load used for competition has to make the power factor, but that's the only reason I'd particularly look for a certain power level.

My competition loads make the following power factors: .38 Super = 141, 10mm = 216, .45 auto = 179. These are what I shoot all the time, switching to Cor-Bon or Hydra-Shok loads for defensive work. Any other calibers are too numerous to list, but maximum accuracy and possibly leading issues are the determining factors.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I load to make the new major power factor minimums (now 165) for USPSA in 40 S&W, 38 Super and 45 ACP.

These levels are near the same levels as commercial ammo. Most commercial 45 ACP "hardball" (230 grain ball ammo) would make the old (175) power factor. In your example (185 gr @ 780 fps) your power factor would work out to 144.3. This would be a great level for fun and practice, although it would be scored minor in USPSA competition. There's no real benefit to loading "hotter" unless you're trying to solve a specific problem.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have not decided how I want to die but I have eliminated a few methods. My obituary will not read "killed by chamber fragments while attempting to get 2000 FPS with 230 gr RN". I never exceed recognized "Book" loads.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Power factors are:

Bullet Weight times Speed divided by 1,000

For example, a 200 grain bullet times 900 feet per second divided by 1,000 is a power factor of 180.

For IDPA the minimum power factors are 165 for .45ACP 1911s (Custom Defense Pistols) and 125 for all other guns.

To make "major" in USPSA, 165 is also the minimum power factor.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by Houston1944:
My obituary will not read "killed by chamber fragments while attempting to get 2000 FPS with 230 gr RN".
Considering some of the things I've seen here and other places, I wouldn't be surprised if that epitaph makes it onto a few headstones.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
184 Posts
!!!!!HOT LOAD HOT LOAD!!!!!Pick a powder,any powder, dip your case in, take a butter knife, swipe to level, seat bullet, any bullet. HOT LOAD!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER THIS IS A JOKE...o.k.?

Seriously, with common reloading practices, Any load can be worked to max, if a reloader watches for pressure signs,and doesn't blow themselves up.
BUT,,,, rarely will the best accurate load be at the max levels.

[This message has been edited by markmcj (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
605 Posts
Back when I was younger and foolish I loaded 230 FMJ to almost 1,150 fps from a 6" Kart barrel in a Colt 1911. I actually shot about 200 rounds of this ammo and survived with all my fingers.

These days 90% of my reload is generic "do-everything" load consisting of 200gr SWC at 850-900fps. If I want to shoot hot load I go buy a box of Remington +P.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I like my .45acp loads a little towards the warm side.

185gr LSWC 9.6gr AA#5, my plinking load. Runs about 1050fps out of my 5".

185gr, XTP, 10.8gr AA#5, my carry load. Runs about 1100fps out of my 4".

When I want to shoot wimpy loads I shoot 9mm.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
WDG

By now you may have realized that "HOT" is a word that most handloaders can't stand. Tends to make us think of those folks who start out with maximum loads and increase from there until something blows up.

Those are the same people who are the most likely to provide ammo to all their friends, thus endangering a lot of people and giving us all a bad name.

Read Houston1944's post for an example of a good motto for all reloaders.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel that many here didn't really understand the question I was asking and that is mostlly my fault.

I was just wondering what most of the reloaders here shoot. I don't really like recoil. I just wanted to know if I would be "out of place" making softer loads or if I should stick to ball ammo numbers.

I don't find the 45 recoil out of line like I did with my 4" S&W model 29[ sold it several years ago].

Thanks
WDG

·
Registered
550 Posts
One of the great advantages of reloading is that you can make up ammunition to meet your own needs. If you like light loads, it is interesting to experiment and see how light you can go and still get proper functioning.

With the .45 auto, you can use a lighter than standard recoil spring and go pretty light with the loads. An old standard is 3.5 grains of Bullseye with a 185 grain bullets for a light target load.

Ammo and weapons for self defense should be as powerful as you can stand, since the pistol is essentially inadequate for the task. The same is generally true for medium game hunting. But for target shooting, go as light as you want.

Shooting light loads is good practice, and will often lead to tolerance of heavier loads with time.

Light loads are also easier on the wallet, easier on the gun, and cases can last virtually forever.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
HOT is a word that is not generally socially acceptable when addressing responsible reloaders. It appears that in this case it's use was not intended to mean dangerous loads.

I would hope that anyone here has enough common sense to keep their dangerous loads to themselves. When it comes to things that explode, "thinking out of the box" can get you or others injured or killed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my favorite

and my first success, 230gr RN on Fed brass, win primers and just about 8gr of IMR 4756. book says its max, 850 fps. nice little kick out of my 3" kimber.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I go for Major PF, then add afew to make sure - tweak around until it's accurate. Right now I'm shooting 230's @ 754fps, 200s @ 850.

I made some 200's for my wife at 680... minor, but not recoil...

It just doesn't take that much to knock down steel or make holes in paper :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
most of my loads are lighter but i have a few hunting loads that are top end but still in the listed numbers. and then there are the other loads for experimental purposes.

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
Sissyboy Approach

While I occasionally venture outside the realm of sanity I most often shoot Minor........except with my wheels 'cause it's so easy to make Major.

Load 'em the way YOU like.

·
Banned
2,827 Posts
WDG said:
I feel that many here didn't really understand the question I was asking and that is mostlly my fault.

I was just wondering what most of the reloaders here shoot. I don't really like recoil. I just wanted to know if I would be "out of place" making softer loads or if I should stick to ball ammo numbers.

I don't find the 45 recoil out of line like I did with my 4" S&W model 29[ sold it several years ago].

Thanks
WDG
Ive started out low velocity and recoil...partially to get my wife back into handgun shooting..and partially because I find...a times..SOME 230 hardball difficult to shoot. Im using 180-200 grain jacketed ammo...and will progress from about 725 FPS up until I have something that I cant control at all...then back down a tad. The way I look at it...a slug of "X" size at 1400 FPS is worthless to me if I cant hit anything with it.

·
Registered
27,705 Posts
I load 5.4-5.5 gr of 231 behind a FMJ 230 gr in varied brass. I get 830 fps out of a Kart M barrel GM. Just about hardball equivalent. Unusually, I get 870 fps with the same load out of a Series 1 Kimber. Shows that Kimbers really do have tight chambers. This is not a hard recoiling load although recoil is very subjective. If you are recoil sensitive, I would say to either download quite a bit or get a 9mm 1911.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts