1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened on Christmas Eve. My mother-in-law, my brother-in-law, and my wife's Aunt were over for Christmas Eve dinner. I decided to show my brother-in-law all my guns. I should not have been handling them, they were loaded and I had been taking pain pills for my chronic back pain. Of course I pompously lectured him on the proper way to hold a weapon. Never put your finger in the trigger guard I said, and never point a weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot. All went well until I went back in the bedroom to put up my guns. For some reason I decided to unload them. And that's when it happen, that laps in judgment that gets someone killed. Have you ever heard a 45 APC, 185 grain, Critical Defense Hornady go off in your bedroom? It's almost as loud as your wife screaming In the next room. Had I shot my wife, I immediately thought? Fortunately nothing was hurt that night except my ego and a powder burn on my wrist. The bullet had passed thru the cuff of my long sleeve shirt and into the bedroom Armoires. I had done everything wrong. To rack the pistol, I had grabbed the 1911 from the front of the slide with my index finger and thumb pointing towards the rear of the 1911, Obviously I had my finger inside the trigger guards and on the trigger. Finally the pistol was pointing towards my family in the next room and I certainly didn't intend to shoot them. I have read many post about stupid actions with guns. Of course, I knew it could never happen to me. "I'm too safe". Oh but it can't happen to you. All it takes is as a momentary lapse in judgment, or being stupid and handling a loaded weapon when you're on pain pills or drinking.

I have gotten many, many lecture from my wonderful loving wife since that shot in the dark. However, they are nowhere near as severe as those lectures I have had with myself. I am re-examining my safe use of my pistols. My intention is to make sure that I will never do anything so stupid again.

To make things worse, the net morning (Christmas) I open my first gift from my loving wife of 30 years. It was a 45 APC, Kimber Crimson Ultra Cary II that I had written Santa about. I don't deserve my loving wife, nor do I deserve that wonderful new 1911. Sorry for the long post but it's a lot of words to talk about such a stupid act! I hope you learned from this, I have!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Drugs and firearms dont mix period!!!! One of the main shooting rules!!!! Its real simple as all you have to do is folllow the rules. You said stupid in your post a few times and that about sums it up!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Was the gun cocked before you started to rack the slide -- or did it cock as you were racking the slide? It sounds like you had it cocked and locked, then took the safety off in order to rack the slide, at that point you inadvertently pulled the trigger.... but it's not 100% clear. Thanks

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I'm glad everyone is ok, especially your wife. I'm sure you won't ever forget this day, how it made you feel, and the possibility of shooting or losing a loved one on accident.

Get your mind right and never ever let it happen again. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thank you for posting. Some of us will stop and think about your story and how to avoid such a mistake in our homes. Your a brave man to post your experance here. I thank you for being brave and making me think. God Bless and Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Wow what a scare. I'm glad that's all it was.we could all give you a lecture but what's the point you know what you did and hopefully learned a valuable lesson without really hurting anyone.IF you follow the number one rule you can never hurt anyone .keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I drill them into my kids and anyone that's I shoot with.

Good luck and Nice Christmas present :)

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Really glad no one was hurt. The one thing to take from all this is to not make that mistake again, and having it happen to you will ensure that it stays in your memory for a long, long time. Lesson learned is how we are humbled into realizing that it CAN happen to us and safety is achieved through vigilance to proper protocol. Admitting the error is the first step, you've done that, and evaluating your protocol is second, which you are already doing. Put it behind you now, and take the lesson learned forward with you. Stay safe, shoot straight.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I am sure I will get attacked for telling you its time to sell all your guns. You handled guns under the influence and fired one in the presence of others. Not only should you never handle guns anymore, I am amazed none of your guest's haven't filed charges. Way too many rules broken for you to handle guns anymore.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I had two NDs when I was a teenager. That feeling of shock, fear, and shame has kept me on the straight and narrow for these many years.

The shame got re-charged a couple years ago when my mother ripped the carpet out of my old bedroom. :eek: She had questions about the bullethole.....

·
Banned
2,589 Posts
Coljack,

Thanks for sharing. I commend your honesty in posting this. Thank God only your ego was injured in this negligent discharge. I think sooner or later just about anyone who owns and shoots guns will experience at least one of these types of events. You are exactly correct. It only takes a momentary lapse of judgment.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Coljack,

Thanks for sharing. I commend your honesty in posting this. Thank God only your ego was injured in this negligent discharge. I think sooner or later just about anyone who owns and shoots guns will experience at least one of these types of events. You are exactly correct. It only takes a momentary lapse of judgment.
+1. There are lots of smart guys on the internet ready to jump on everyone else, but I suspect they are also humans.

I have seen firing pins stick on quality guns (causing a slam-fire or double and triple bursts), so whenever I load or unload a weapon I am very careful to point it low and away (towards the yard), so if something bizarre did happen, family members, neighbors and pets will not be endangered. I am careful about that even when tired, drinking, distracted, or whatever.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am sure I will get attacked for telling you its time to sell all your guns. You handled guns under the influence and fired one in the presence of others. Not only should you never handle guns anymore, I am amazed none of your guest's haven't filed charges. Way too many rules broken for you to handle guns anymore.
Thanks for your input Mr Obama.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Even the best of people can make the worst of mistakes. If you learned from it, it will never, ever happen again. I'm glad your story ended with everyone being ok.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It took a lot of guts to write that story in this forum. I had to write a similarly shameful story (about almost killing my family during a storm on a sailboat offshore, but similarly experienced forum members), and one of the first things one of the senior members said to me was, "boy, that to guts to write that." I hadn't thought so, but now I see his perspective.

I'm glad nobody was hurt. I am fairly certain this will make you a safer shooter. I'm sure this experience will earn you a whole new level of respect for your weapons. Thank you for sharing your story, and I would be interested to hear how you feel the next time you prepare and go to the range. I'm also curious to know if you're going to repair the bullet hole, or leave it as a reminder.

Cheers,
Phil

1 - 20 of 180 Posts