1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Para was delivered to the TN plant last Friday (Jan. 18th) for repair of a broken extractor. Does anyone have any idea how long they will have it?
And, does anyone have a phone number to TN to check? Only been a week, and I don't plan on calling for at least another week, but, I'm already missing my Slim Hawg something fierce!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
They have had a gun of mine for three weeks or so. I just call the service center number on the website and they will transfer you to the Tn service center. All they have been able to tell me is, that the pistol is still there and if I don't get it back next week, call them again.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it back today. Unfortunately, the weather got really nasty and won't be able to get out and try it for a few days.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Got it back today. Unfortunately, the weather got really nasty and won't be able to get out and try it for a few days.
Mike:

Hang your head in shame.... :biglaugh:

I've been known to take a new gun to the range before I went home....

(Doesn't everybody keep a cleaning kit and some ammunition in the trunk?)

Hope it worked out for you. Para's service people have been accused of doing some pretty fine work in the four years I've owned Para guns. :)

Regards,

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I'm confused why the pistol was shipped anywhere for a broken extractor. This is user maintenance and takes only minutes to replace one.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
ParaOrd's "power extractors". , aka PXT, are not standard 1911-ish parts, so unless you can convince them to ship you one, a quick change becomes a bit more challenging.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I just asked for one. They sent one (actually two). Overnight.

PXT comes out and goes in just like a standard extractor even though it's got more parts. Instructions for it were with my pistol.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, the nearest indoor range is over 50 miles from me. And the weather when the pistol was delivered to my home was snow, sleet, wind, and generally nasty. My "range" is a 100 acre farm that I had to pay the ultimate price to get access to. I married the farmer's daughter. :)

When the extractor first broke, I was instucted to send the whole pistol to them ($74.20 shipping!). I've noticed since it's been returned that the mag catch works a lot easier, too. So, they may have gone over things pretty well for me.

Next time, if necessary, I'm going to call them to see if just the new extractor can be sent. Hopefully, like the other guy, they will send two. Then Murphy's law can take effect that if you have spare parts ready to go, the original will never break!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: Got a check from Para-Ordnance today to cover the $74.00 it cost me to ship it to them. My opinions of Para have gone up considerably!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
MoMike:

I'm guessing that somebody at Para figured out that whoever told you to ship the whole gun to TN to swap an extractor, probably should have dropped a couple extractors in an envelope first....

At this late date the PXT's ought to be 100% in terms of MIM problems, but there may be a few left laying around someplace. (If I were king the newer ones would have been painted purple or something.... Well, maybe not purple :) )

It also may make a little bit of sense to see the old extractor.... I offered to send mine, but George didn't want it. Mine apparently was over-stressed by some over-the-top reloads, but the break looks like a classic MIM failure. However, I've seen forged or machined parts break the same way so.... Almost four years ago now.... The replacement's kept on ticking....

What the {expletive dropped on the floor and jumped on} do I know :D....

(Actually, the former day job owned a plastic molding plant. MIM Parts are more or less produced the same way up until the last couple of steps, and I learned a lot about the process over the 30+ years I worked there.)

I'd probalby say even more nice things about Para if they'd send me a check :), but I've had excellent luck with their service people (and George Wedge). In my case, going the extra mile seemed to be the START of the process.... (I'd settle for a T-Shirt :D.)

Good luck with it!

Regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts