1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Kimber Classic with about 15K rounds through it. I've noticed that the link is getting some up and down movement at the barrel lug. I suspect that this is a no-no and that I ought to replace the pin at least.

What do you folks think? Should I just keep shooting it till the slide hits the target one day?

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Agree with Patrickl. If the link is moving up and down (and I understand what you mean by that), then timing is being altered, albetit by amounts that are probably not significant yet.

Have you looked to see if it is the link that is worn, or the pin, or the pin holes?

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, I haven't driven the pin out for a peek yet. I am kindof wondering why it has loosened up. I wonder if the timing was off a little bit from the beginning and the pin wore out before the slide stop.

·
Registered
645 Posts
dla -

Match grade links and link pins cost next to nothing. I always have a few of both in my tool box just for situations like yours. You should go through the Brownells catalog and stock a few of the necessary items like a link, link pin, hammer strut pins, hammer pins, sear pins, springs, etc.

MadDog

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I would initially say the barrel stops short on linkdown,and over time it stretched the link.I'd get a few longer than your original,and searching the manufacturers you can find them in .001-.002 increments.At complete linkdown the link should be slightly compressed on the SS pin or neutral,not stretched.If you have to link up much,you may need to dress the top lugs,but I doubt it's that bad.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rex: Thanks, I agree with you. I suspect that the bottom lug was cut a hair short at the factory. Over time the link has stretched from stopping the rearward movement of the barrel.

I'll check around and see who has some links.

------------------
Have a great day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts