1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know all the stories out there about finiky 1911's. Mine do fine for me and my Springer loaded has never had 1 FTF or FTE.
My Colt Lightweight performs fine unless she gets dirty about 150 rounds.

No matter what I carry, I go back to my 1911's but I always have this idea that I am carrying, less that 100% reliable due to all the feedback I hear.

How many choose to Conceal Carry this platform daily?

Thanks for the discussion....

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Sounds to me like your fine....unless you get into a fire-fight lasting for 150 rds. :rolleyes:

I find the 1911 (Commander size for me) carries better than ANY polymer pistol IWB due to it being thinner in the slide.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I prefer to carry a commander. I prefer it to anything else and I have had quite a broad selection over the years. Reliable and natural.
My personal problem is printing. They are difficult to conceal when in situations where printing is being looked for. This is where I become uncomfortable. Self conscious. I never completely get over it. I have been approached and the pair split when one could see the print . They saw the print or could read I was ready to draw- I was between two cars and it was happening. It got close.
Either choice, stay aware. Best defense we have.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Officers framed Commander length IWB EVERYDAY and 99.9% confident it will run fine...at least until I run out of ammo (22 rounds)...to be honest, I'm a little more worried about how I'm going to run;)

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
My guns run fine. I'm more concerned about printing too and after 4 years still haven't found a spot I like for the spare mag.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Every day for the last 8 years. Before that was Glocks, which in my personal experience were not reliable enough to be trusted.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Colt Officers, don't feel unsafe at all. Had a Glock 27 before, liked it too, but gave it to my son. He in turn traded for a Beretta PX4, as that is what he liked. I feel the 1911 is an outstanding platform. My youngest son turns 21 in March and he is getting my SA GI Champion. That is what he likes and wants. If I didn't trust it, I sure wouldn't give it to him for a SD gun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have total confidence in mine.

I carry a Springfield GI model everyday. I have absolute confidence in it.

Been carrying it for a year with no problems of any kind.

I carry it in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II and have no problem with printing.

The thin size helps with the printing issue and the VMII and Sparks belt take care of the weight.

It's comfortable and comforting to have it with me. :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Practice enough to get to know your gun. If you keep it well maintained then you've done all you can do.

Any gun can fail, and even if the gun does it's job, the ammo might fail, or the bullet might not stop the attacker.

Just keep it clean and shoot it often enough to stay ready. If it starts giving you trouble at the range, then I'd start figuring out what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
blgoode said:
Okay, I know all the stories out there about finicky 1911's. Mine do fine for me and my Springer loaded has never had 1 FTF or FTE.
My Colt Lightweight performs fine unless she gets dirty about 150 rounds. No matter what I carry, I go back to my 1911's but I always have this idea that I am carrying, less that 100% reliable due to all the feedback I hear. How many choose to Conceal Carry this platform daily? Thanks for the discussion....

DISCLAIMER: The following personal opinions are just that -- opinions. They were derived through study & reading, from conversations with other firearm enthusiasts, and finalized by my own experiences with the subject at hand; the comments are not intended as a slight against any other opinion/opinions from forum members or administrators...

I have carried a Government (at times a Commander) almost every day for the past thirty years of my life. My 1911 platforms are more or equally as reliable as any of the other designs I have tested/owned/seen in action. Keep them in spec, do your preventive maintenance, and keep them ship-shape and you'll be fine, blgoode. If you must worry about something, it shouldn't be your firearms based on your comments...

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
The 1911 plaform attracts lugnuts who start goofing with stuff they ought not be goofing with :rolleyes: .

Get one properly set up and broken in, stoke it with reliable ammo, and you're GTG.

I carry a highly modified, but thoroughly tested, Kimber CDP. Can't remember the last bobble I had with it. Just did a course requiring 500 rounds and no issues at all.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how many of you had changed out the exctactor? How often is this needed? Springs arent that big of a deal to swap out but I didnt know if the extractor has a life expectancy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I carry a SS Kimber every day. I feel 100% with fuction. My problem in the summer with concealment. I mostly wear Hawaiian shirts in the summer and they do a good of not printing.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I've never had to change the extractor, but I do have an extra tuned extractor, slide stop and firing pin stop for all my 1911's. Just in case.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
I carry a bobtailed LW Commander or my Les Baer TRS, no worries.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I feel 100% with a 1911. But, not only for a 1911, for all your carry weapons, you should put some thought and practice in clearing a problem.

I remember reading a story about a DEA guy (I think) going in to arrest a guy and almost getting killed because his mag was not seated.

I do a press check when suiting up and I do some clearing drills.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Full confidence.

Colt Commander is my usual carry. Not one problem ever with it. At least it's steel so that if it ever did jam up, it'd make a decent short club.;)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts