1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
To answer 'seriously,' that's not a bad question. I think sometimes we ALL get caught up in the "more is better" - but now that I am beginning my 7th decade, I am getting smarter, and really more is not always better, better is better.

How many SHOULD a person own? I would expect as a MINIMUM
  1. ONE AR-pattern 5.56, because that's the military standard and as citizens we have the responsibility to be competent with it. Plus a bunch of magazines and case(s) of ammo.
  2. ONE AR-pattern in .22 LR, to practice. Plus a bunch of ammo.
  3. TWO identical 9mm semi-auto pistols - carry-sized. Bonus points for if they are duplicates (or close) to the military issue, same logic as for the AR. One to carry, and a spare. Plus ammo and mags.
  4. ONE similar platform .22 LR handgun - for practice.

So, IMO, that's the MINIMUM someone should own - five. That's BEFORE we consider any preferences for carry, hunting, or defense. Adding those in, it's pretty likely the MINIMUM is at least ten (for example - add TWO AR-pattern in 7.62, ONE suppressed bolt action in each of 5.56 and 7.62, etc).

Add in COLLECTING and all bets are off - the sky is the limit.
I have an Suppressed SBR in 5.56 with a CMMG .22lr Adaptor (Check 1 & 2)
I have a Kimber Pro Carry II in .45acp with a Kimber .22lr Upper Conversion slide (Check 3 & 4)
I have 3 Taurus 605's in .357 Scattered around the House
I have a Taurus 85UL for a Boot Gun.
I have a "Ghost Gun" in my Truck in .45

Still feel like I'm One Short somewhere... Sigh

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ever since I took up fishing, I can’t remember how many were “lost” to Davy Jones’ locker. How does that factor into the math equation?

Reactions: Levian

·
Registered
150 Posts
For me, the number of handguns is 8. The wife and I each have defensive handguns and I have 6 that I shoot regularly. Although the pictures I see of forum member's collections are amazing, I am not a collector. I'm more of a shooter and have found when having 7 "shooters", one will get neglected or I will start feeling like I need to shoot it instead of wanting to. That's when one has to go. Right now I'm in a good place shooting 2 1911s (9mm and .45), 2 CZs (Shadow 2 and 97B), a 2011 (Staccato P), and a S&W revolver. I love shooting them all. But at some point, I'll pick up another gun I think like and one will probably have to go.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You can own as many guns as you can afford and want.

You should own two 1911s, a mid-caliber rifle, and a 12 gauge shotgun minimum.

Reactions: oak1971

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have handled pistols for 20 years and gotten into ARs and 1911s in the last few. I used to be a competent gun handler but not a gun guy and never saw the point in owning a huge pile of firearms. As the world went crazy last year and this administration has ramped up attacks on 2a my mindset has become that at the state or federal level this right could be severely restricted at any time. Buy and enjoy now, who knows what the future holds. No, I am not guaranteed to be grandfathered in an allowed to keep anything. But just people buying guns in large numbers in and of itself is a powerful statement against gun control, so I like to add to those numbers every now and then.

I like owning multiple ARs because the modularity and interchangeability of the platform means owning a few is an extra layer of insurance to my spare parts plan.

I own a few carry guns so if one goes down for any reason I have other options.

I own a couple 1911s in 9mm and one in 45 because I find things to like about the platform in each caliber.

That being said I feel like I'm seeing less and less stuff out there now that makes me think there's still a whole in my collection I need to fill so now I concentrate on ammo and 10 round-plus magazines to feed my babies. I check out other guns frequently. Nothing jumps out at me in a "GOTTA HAVE IT" sort of way, like some of it used to when I didn't own many firearms. If and when it does I'll push the buy button again, but for me at least the frequency of something screaming "BUY ME" has had an inverse relationship with the size of my stash.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
As many as they want, but that changes over time. I find that I would rather have half a dozen top quality guns, but have accumulated a lot of guns that I thought were interesting at the time, but now don't shoot.
As soon as you sell one off you will find an application it would be perfect for.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
You can own as many guns as you can afford and want.

You should own two 1911s, a mid-caliber rifle, and a 12 gauge shotgun minimum.
I had a shotgun already, but since sleepy, creepy Biden said get a shotgun, I bought 2 more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The "n+1" answer is funny, and possibly a good one for someone if money is no object (Bill Gates, Elon Musk, etc ), but for the rest of us out here, it is.

For us normal folks, the original equation is not the only equation to solve. My solution doesn't require math... here it is

I already have as many as I need.

I'll never have as many as I want.

If my needs change, I find a way to save for it.

Bottom line:
Never neglect your family's needs to buy your next shiny want.

Reactions: Levian

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
How many guns should one person own ?

More than a BLM rioter.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
My wife has 7 of her own. I'm not saying how many I have.
..But Sweetie, I got this for you!

LOL. Best way to get your hobby approved is to make it hers also.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Let's see how many by listing the ones I want to own. I want one of each...

• AR-15
  • M1 A1
  • M1 Garand
  • 1911 A1 GI style (in all available calibers)
  • 1911 Alchemy style (all calibers)
  • STI 2011
  • Beretta M9 or 92 FS
  • 12 gauge shotgun
  • S&W revolvers in .357 and .44
  • Lever action rifles in .22LR, .357 and .44
  • Bolt-action rifles in .308 and .50 BMG
  • AK 47
  • HK MP5
  • Uzi rifle
  • M-16
  • M4 carbine
:LOL:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just one more.....

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: muzzleblast...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've found myself contemplating this quite a bit of late.

I have the basic needs covered. Rifles for hunting, shotguns for hunting or home defense, and of course my carry pistols.

There are of course wants, but I'm having trouble justifying them. Especially with ammo cost being what it is. I can hardly feed the ones I've got...

41 - 60 of 119 Posts