1911Forum banner
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Administrator
75,876 Posts
As long as:

1. A person can legally own the guns he/she has,
2. he/she has the ability to store them all safely and securely, and
3. they are purchasing them with discretionary income and not going into debt or avoiding more important expenditures

...they can own as many as they want, period. There is no arbitrary maximum number because everyone acquires guns for a reason. There was one man who owned nearly a thousand Lugers and was a walking encyclopedia on them. If it wasn't for him those guns wouldn't have been preserved and the knowledge gained from his research lost to history.

Now, if you own nearly a thousand Hi-Points you're a sick puppy indeed and seriously need help.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You know you have too many when you are walking around a gun show and remark to your buddy about a certain gun, that you have always wanted one of those and almost bought one in the past. And you buddy looks and you and grins, and says, I was with you when you bought one, where is it? Then in disbelief you go home and find it far back in one of the safes. Then you have maybe too many.

It's a collector thang.

Reactions: Chance-dg

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
988 Posts
As many as he wants.
At least enough to cover every category such as fun, cause I want one, everybody should have at least one, just because and I just got a great deal. I wanted a pre 64 Winchester lightweight 270. till I got a great deal on a post 64 270 that is a one hole shooter, I kept this one just because!

·
Registered
Ask me about faith...
218 Posts
As many as makes you happy.... Minimum...

A rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun... Details on which makes, models, and why make up about half the threads here...

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
My needs and wants have had a sea change over the last couple of years. I've never had a large number of guns and don't collect anything in particular. I guess I've sold a few and bought a few so the number hasn't changed but the content is definitely different. One thing that is different is no more guns that are not shooters.
Because of my age, I expect the number of them will begin to dwindle - I definitely have more than I could ever need under any circumstance. I guess the bare minimum a guy should have is one good pistol. As they say, 'Beware the man with one gun.' The presumption is he would therefore be very, very good with it. :)

ETA: No matter your age or situation, just when you think you have finally arrived at the end of the 'new gun' stage, you will surely see something you just have to have. There is literally no end to it.

·
Administrator
75,876 Posts
You know you have too many when you are walking around a gun show and remark to your buddy about a certain gun, that you have always wanted one of those and almost bought one in the past. And you buddy looks and you and grins, and says, I was with you when you bought one, where is it? Then in disbelief you go home and find it far back in one of the safes. Then you have maybe too many.

It's a collector thang.
I've had dreams where I found a gun in my safe I didn't know I had. Kind of a nice dream, actually. :)

But then I'd wake up and realize I don't actually have it... :(

·
Registered
487 Posts
As many as makes you happy.... Minimum...

A rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun... Details on which makes, models, and why make up about half the threads here...
Two is one and one is none, always have a backup, because everything breaks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
How many guns should one person own? In case you didn't know there's a mathematical formula for it.

X = [number of guns one currently owns]
Y = [number of guns one needs]
Y = X + 1
When it comes to 1911’s your formula doesn’t apply. Cause they be like peanuts 🥜 you got to have a big bunch. One just makes you want more. 1911’s Forever.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh Lord, Raven-ZAMAC strikes again! As I recall... the RG line of revolvers was particularly bad. For that matter the H&R double actions were generally terrible. Some of the Charter's were pretty nasty there for a few years (or more), although newer and very older ones are much better than the dark days production.

Q. I have an old H&R .38 "Smith and Wesson!" how much is it worth?
A. Well if it only weighed as much as a boat anchor, it would be worth just as much.

Jennings was another dixie cup gun. Trying to remember those chrome .380's that used to be popular with a certain sect of the populace in these parts... Phoenix maybe?

All are sure signs of madness, or abject boredom with life.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts