1911Forum banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is why I constantly have to tell myself "I don't need that 1911. I already have it in stainless (or nickel or blue or 45 or 9mm or whatever)." The price of ammo has certainly made it easier to not buy another one right now.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
One should only have as many guns as one wants and can responsibly afford. I draw the line at going into debt.
I always thought the more interesting discussion was, "At minimum, what guns would one need to meet any practical necessity?" Make, model, caliber, use, etc.
I agree with this unreservedly. A recent conversation between "The Boss" and myself went like this.

"The Boss": Honey, do you think you'll ever own enough guns?
ME: Yes, dear... Right after you own enough jewelry and shoes.
<Long Silence>
"The Boss": We should go to more gun shows...
Me: Whatever you say, dear. You're "The Boss".

·
Registered
993 Posts
I agree with this unreservedly. A recent conversation between "The Boss" and myself went like this.

"The Boss": Honey, do you think you'll ever own enough guns?
ME: Yes, dear... Right after you own enough jewelry and shoes.
<Long Silence>
"The Boss": We should go to more gun shows...
Me: Whatever you say, dear. You're "The Boss".
I'm extraordinarily fortunate to have a very frugal "boss". She scowled every time I got another case of ammo delivered before the pandemic hit (she's never had to worry about buying ammo). Now, she realizes there was some sense to my madness at the time. We each have our own money, and she can do whatever she wants with hers. She just ordered some fancy shoes from London. As far as I'm concerned, go get 'em, but don't look at me sideways when I come home with a SCAR 17S 😆

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many guns should one person own? In case you didn't know there's a mathematical formula for it.

X = [number of guns one currently owns]
Y = [number of guns one needs]
Y = X + 1
I am NOT going to open the safe and count them so I would suggest two rules.
1) Whatever you can cram into the safe plus one. Of course you can buy another safe.
2) If you make a mistake and sell one you should buy two. Example: I've sold three 1911s over the past few years but somehow still managed to end up with more. Today's count = 11 so that plus one would make it an even dozen. So should we strive for an even or odd number?

·
Registered
26,137 Posts
Gotta Love Shoestring Relatives I've inherited about 7 from 3rd Cousins and Great Uncles because No One else in the Family wanted them. Got a really nice 1976 700BDL in .308 back two years ago from a Brother-in-law of a 2nd Cousin on my Fathers side... I've met Twice in my Life... Go Figure
Most of my relatives, (not all) but most of them are scared of guns.

·
Registered
26,137 Posts
I'm extraordinarily fortunate to have a very frugal "boss". She scowled every time I got another case of ammo delivered before the pandemic hit (she's never had to worry about buying ammo). Now, she realizes there was some sense to my madness at the time. We each have our own money, and she can do whatever she wants with hers. She just ordered some fancy shoes from London. As far as I'm concerned, go get 'em, but don't look at me sideways when I come home with a SCAR 17S 😆
Pretty much the same here. I have been buying a LOT of ammo in the last few years. Never a peep out of the wife about it either way. Now she sees why I did it. And she hardly spends any money at all. Mostly because she is just not interested in doing that, not because funds are short.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I guess I was lucky on ammo, my daughter and I were competing in about 6 matches a year, so I was buying a case now and then to feed the Glocks. Then Covid hit, matches started getting canceled, she and I stopped traveling and practicing, so I have a modest stash. Nothing like many people, but enough to make a journalist hysterical.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts