1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dsk says that the DCM started offering M1911s to the general public in the '50s. (BTW, I would love to have that advertisment!) Anyhow, are there any M1911s left in arsenals? Didn't I once hear a rumor that there were .38 Supers in paper and grease located within at least one arsenal (drool....drool....).

If true, let's get the politicians to release them before their nationalistic juices begin to run low.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
As far as I am aware, there are only a few hundred customized ones still being used by the Marine's MEU/SOC units. During the early to mid 90's, under orders from the Clinton Administration the government underwent a massive disposal of most of the military's surplus firearms and other weapons. Multiple thousands of M1911A1s, M14s, M1s, .38 revolvers and such were torched up and scrapped. I doubt that many survived the slaughter and would still be in storage.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
DSK....
That's another reason to dislike Clinton. The thought of those old 45's going under the torch makes me cringe. Way to go Bubba!
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I do not know how many still remain in storhouses, but the Commander of a naval munitions base nearby told me they still have a lot of .45s stored there that did not get destroyed. However, he said they are generally used as retirement and other type gifts and they are converted to non-firing specimens at the time they are made up in the the presentations. I suspect there are far more than a few hundred remaining. It is propably closer to several thousands.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Oh, I guess I'll take it even though you removed the firing pin.....it'll make a nice paperweight [snicker, snicker]."

In all seriousness, how, and to whom, do we petition to find out whether these guns could be offered to the citizens (i.e., legitimate collectors)? Anyone here involved with the DCM? Know anybody at the DCM? Should we contact legislators?

If Garands can be sold, there's no reason I can think of why we can't get those M1911A1s out of there!

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Hi Fremont...
With the war on, how about the gov't selling all of the old 1911s to collectors as a fund raising tool and to stir up even more patriotism? I'll bet they would go quickly and what a historical advertising campaign it could be. Would really love to see it.
Regards,
Sam

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
You guys are forgetting. They are icky, evil handguns. That's why CMP still sells M1 Garands but not M1911A1s.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't forget, though, dsk, that assassinations of foreigners by our government was considered taboo up to 11 days ago, but now it's considered just plain common sense.

Total strangers are singing patriotic songs together.

I guess anything's possible, huh?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I am not real up to speed on assassinations or anything. I would think its assassination of the countries leader which is forbidden. The taboo is left to the armed and trained rebels. Which never works out right for some reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts