1911Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Administrator
73,440 Posts
I bought my first one then ended up selling it a few years later.

Just built one a few weeks ago. That was so much fun that I will probably build from now on.
Building ARs has really taken off here in WA thanks to the new I-1639 law. If you want to buy any semi-auto rifle you now have to take a so-called "safety course" and go through a two-week waiting period. But if you buy just the stripped lower it's just as easy as buying a bolt-action rifle, since it's technically not a semi-auto at that stage. Some shops have also been selling complete ARs but with a solid gas block, making it a "bolt action" rifle by definition. Just replace the gas block and you're back in business. As much as we all hate these stupid gun laws, I have to admit it's quite amusing when I see people outsmart the system.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Since this thread started I added another two, up to nine now, including three full autos. All Colts, Switzerland does not really offer a lot of parts for building one yourself, and those parts are expensive

A1

A2

Yeah I like fixed carry handles

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
'How many newbies purchased there first new/used ar-15’s?'

Probably all of them, rather than stealing them.

'I been on the fence about buying one for decades, there on the ban list but not sure if I can own one or not?'

I guess that depends on your state and local laws along with your status as a potential gun buyer.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Classic12, what are the laws for having full autos in Switzerland?

You need to justify having a small collection of normal weapons already, a clean criminal record, a bolted safe, bolt and gun have to be stored separately, and you have to apply for a special license, cost $ 150 (can be used for up to three guns but from the same seller and the same day) and waiting time 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The first one I bought new was an early S&W. I also bought used Colt and Stag at auction. I doubt I ever buy another again unless an awfully good price. I change out grips, trigger, handguards, stocks, etc. so it makes sense for me to assemble now. The only gun close to stock is the Colt HBAR.

I have assembled totally from individual parts as well just bought the assembled upper and assembled everything else.

I have 2 stripped lowers in my safe waiting for project ideas.

·
Registered
503 Posts
'How many newbies purchased there first new/used ar-15’s?'

Probably all of them, rather than stealing them.

'I been on the fence about buying one for decades, there on the ban list but not sure if I can own one or not?'

I guess that depends on your state and local laws along with your status as a potential gun buyer.
Not me. I'm Texan. We can but anything we want any time we want,

·
Registered
490 Posts
The virus has already started the ammo panic buying. If the virus starts making it look like Trump might lose, those ARs will start going back up, so the newbies can start buying them again. I like to buy high and sell low.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Been shooting them for years and this weekend I built my first one. My son bought a PSA kit and said here dad put this together for me.

It was a fun and sometimes frustrating experience LOL. I'm sure most could have done it faster but I took my time and watched A LOT of youtube videos.

Now that I have this one done maybe I will build a ar pistol next.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Been shooting them for years and this weekend I built my first one. My son bought a PSA kit and said here dad put this together for me.

It was a fun and sometimes frustrating experience LOL. I'm sure most could have done it faster but I took my time and watched A LOT of youtube videos.

Now that I have this one done maybe I will build a ar pistol next.
Cool father and son experience.

My son wanted to build an AR9 so I built an AR15 in 5.56 at the same time. It was fun working on them together.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I had a 5.56 AR many many years ago. But I sold it as it couldn't be used for hunting at the time. it only came in .223 or 5.56 way back then. But then in the more current times, it is now available in all kinds of calibers and cartridges. So I wound up getting ARs again. But I tend to like to just build mine up out of parts bought, not complete guns. It is sort of half the fun.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts