1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a Smith & Wesson 3913, and fiercly miss it as a carry gun. It was light, thin, and still easy to shoot. It ate well over 3000 rounds and never once jammed.

I am thinking of buying another 3913 (Para OPS is still a little heavy), and was wondering about how long the aluminum frame was good for? Most rounds would be typical off the shelf 9, but since the carry round would be a hot 115gr +P, some of those would be fed through the gun over time.

The gun would be cleaned well after each firing.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
S&W 3913 Durability

98_1LE said:
Wondering about how long the aluminum frame was good for? Most rounds would be typical off the shelf 9, but since the carry round would be a hot 115gr +P, some of those would be fed through the gun over time. The gun would be cleaned well after each firing.
Dude, you should live so long. (Anyways, when you have 30 to 40 thousand rounds through it and something breaks (maybe) S&W will fix it free.) :dope:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have four aluminum alloy framed pistols:

SIG P220
SIG P226
Kimber CDP Custom
Kimber CDP Pro

I would think that you will shoot out your barrel long before you can ruin an alloy frame. I don't worry at all about the durablity of these pistols.

Edit: Forgot about my CZ-75 PCR. It also has an aluminum alloy frame.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 1,632 rounds of SAAMI spec ammo or 1,285 rounds of +P ammo. :D

Seriously though, if a polymer framed firearm can last many thousands, even many tens of thousands of rounds, I would not worry about the life span of an aluminum framed firearm from a quality manufacturer. If you are worried, then just make sure whatever one you decide on offers a lifetime warranty in writing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.