1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I am. 8:00 this morning reading E-mails, preparing for another week of drudgery. In walks Joe the plumber, with something under his jacket. He puts a black D.W. box on my desk. Out pops a beautiful RZ-10! Brand new according to Joe. "Jeez Joe where didja get that ? I heard they were a limited run and all gone" Yeah me too he says. "I got it down at Matt's. He says he's got another one in the back" Fast forward 12 hours. The "other one" is sitting in my lap. Fresh back together after a clean and lube. Man! it is nice! Hats off to you Mr. Serva.

So. My question is, Were Joe and I right in our thinking that this was a limited run? If so, how many were produced? I hope to have her out this weekend. This is my first 10mm. I can't wait.

Joe says he's not gonna shoot his. "It's too pretty"... The man is sick.

·
Registered
282 Posts

The "first" 150 had a certain amount of options available and were proof-fired. Further they carried a inscription on the LS of the slide that says "XX of 150" for whatever the serial number was.

The remaining 500 were supposed to be standardized with Bomars and FCS's, but yote has several in the 200 range that do not have FCS's.

No word as yet if DW plans on adding the RZ to the regular line-up.

Oh! and one more thing, check and adjust extractor tension before you hit the range. It'll save you some aggravation.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info

Both Joe's and mine are in the upper 200s. Both have adjustable sights and front serrations.
I couldn't wait, so I took a personal day and went to the range this morning. All i could get together was 150 rounds. 1 box each of PMC 175 gr HP, Federal 180 lead RN, and Remington 180 HP. I started with the PMCs and right away was worried I bought a dog. It choked on every 3rd or 4th round. It either didn't like the taste of PMCs or just needed 50 rounds to break in. The next 100 went through without a hiccup. Accuracy looks to be pretty good. I had no rest to fire from, but was able to hold 2-3" groups at 50 feet, standing. Overall I'm real happy with this one.
Thank's again for the info.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Finally got mine #231

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ford, I almost feel guilty...

After reading about your agonizing over trying to find one. I wasn't even thinking about one until yesterday morning. Just one of those things.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Almost being the key word huh.:D :D
Congrats, I bought mine to take on a hog hunt. I put some camo grips on it I bought from Aluma Grips. It looks sooooo cool.

Geez, now we are going to have to be like glocktalk and start a RZ club. :p RZ #231

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ford said:

Geez, now we are going to have to be like glocktalk and start a RZ club. :p RZ #231
Since the RZ's have occupied this forum to the virtual exclusion of other models for so long many would suggest that this already IS the RZ club :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: Thanks for the info

ewb45acp said:
I started with the PMCs and right away was worried I bought a dog. It choked on every 3rd or 4th round. It either didn't like the taste of PMCs or just needed 50 rounds to break in.
PMC = Pretty Much Crap. Willing to bet it was the ammo. The 10mm PMC ammo is worse than some of the other junk they make.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty Much Crap. thats good...

Well I've had her out 3 more times. Flat nose, H.Ps, jacketed, lead. The RZ is eating them all. Those PMCs were the only problem I've had so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess I lucked out. I own RZ #73 & #78. One w/ adj sights & front slide serrations and one w/ Fixed & no front slide serrations which is unfired.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hey you guys -
How about some pics & technical (slide / frame fit, barrel fit, trigger pull, etc.) evaluations.

Any hands on comparison to an existing Colt Delta model would be welcome, as well!

I'm starting to get the bug! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
gcf said:
Hey you guys -
How about some pics & technical (slide / frame fit, barrel fit, trigger pull, etc.) evaluations.

Any hands on comparison to an existing Colt Delta model would be welcome, as well!
A few pics are here... http://markco.gunsnet.net/rzcobra.html

--------------------------------
My "first" review...

Well, I finally got to breaking in #67. Here is my summary of the day.

Cleaning/Internals: Completely took it apart and degreased/cleaned everything with non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, and boy was it grimy in there. Looked at everything, but adjusted nothing. Used grease on the rails and locking lugs and oiled the rest then re-assembled. Noted a few burrs and gouges internally, but nothing that should affect function. The lugs were cut nice and smooth and locked up tight. No slide/frame movement. It was very tight. As compared to some customs, Springfields, Colts and some Kimbers, the internals were much closer to the customs than the production guns. Like I said before, the trigger is poor. I think it was dropped in and never tuned because it is pretty poor. I am not a smith, but I could see where the engagement is off.

External: Under the slide release, there were five obvious vertical scratches on the frame. They will not be able to be buffed out. However, they can not be seen on the assembled gun. While I voted for the dark grips, I hate the grips. It is a very poor staining and any grease, solvent or sweat gets the black dye solvent and it is pretty nasty. The fit of the gun into my holsters was very tight. The raised rib actually cut the inside of my holsters. That might have to be rounded off on the GS trip. Also, I really dislike the big white dot on the front.

Shooting: WOW! My test target was at about an inch and this thing can downright shoot like nobody’s business. I shot reloads in 155 Lead, 180 plated, 200 plated and 3 kinds of 180 JHPs. Some a tad on the warm side (180s at 1250) and some just a touch above a hot .40 S&W load (180s at 1050 fps). I then shot 180 grain factory Pro-Loads, Speer, CCI, Remington and Winchester. All rounds grouped inside of 2 inches benched at 25 yards. The poor trigger and huge white dot detracted from precision shooting, but those will both be rectified this week. All in all RZ #67 ate 300 rounds with NO malfunctions of any kind. It reliably feed everything and accurately shot everything from mild to warm from wide JHPs to SWCs to RN slugs. Also, I shot two magazines of the mildest and two magazines of the warmest loads I had strong hand only, and with a fairly modest grip, and still had no malfunctions.

Bad: Trigger, front white dot, grips, scratches. I don’t really expect a good trigger from the factory, so I am not too worried about that. The sights can be personal preference, so no big deal there. The grips were poorly conceived and they should have gone with something else. The scratches, while not observable, do bug me the most.

Good: Insane accuracy and reliability for a factory gun. It points well, handles well and shoots well. For the accuracy and reliability, I can handle to minor “bad points” above. I think the folks who bailed have missed out. Those still waiting, it IS worth it.

RZ #67 will get another 300-500 rounds and then go to the GS to round off the top rib a bit, get a trigger job and add a front night sight. I’ve got the pebble Hogue grips on it now and think I will stick with those.
-------------------------

I got a trigger job, my gunsmith put some "watch face" luminous stuff on the front sight. I've used it hunting and in competition. It has about 3500 rounds through it right now. The shock buffs last about 1000 rounds with full power ammo. It is one of my favorite pistols, and if we were playing that "what if you could only have one pistol" game, the RZ would definately be it. It has everything you could want and chambers a potent cartridge, incredible feel and it is nice looking. You might see that I had a few gripes, but a few minutes with my smith got it a VERY nice trigger and I put $11 Hougue grips on it. Get one, you will not be sorry.

IF, by chance you have any issues, Dan Wesson has great service and will make everything right. Bob offered to do a trigger job on mine if I would just send it in. For me, I just had my local guy do it, no big deal.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My understanding is that there were 650. It was designed based on input from forum members right here. The first 150 were a limited edition, serial # 1-150 with options. They were ordered direct or through a dealer direct. With/without FCS and choice of sights. The other 500 went to distributors and frankly I have heard conflciting stories re options. Retail was $899 and street was about $800 in general. There were some learning curve issues, but DW has responded in what I feel is a very appropriate manner, both with individuals and in some corporate changes recently made. IMHO, DW should catalog this pistol with some minor changes to differentiate them from the orignal 650. My personal suggestion would be standard cocobolo grips, target sights, standard trigger (as opposed to the solid retro tirgger) and no FCS. With a jump on Kimber in the full size 10mm arena, I think this pistol would sell like hotcakes.

I am a fan of any company with a dedication to quality and service. The integrity at DW is above all others. I have confidence that if I ever bought a DW that had problems, they would make it right. I am willing to pay a bit more for excellent service and confidence. fact is, with DW, you pay less than other pistols, get better quality, and get the service and confidence as "double icing" so to speak. With other companies, I usually sit back and wait until the bigs get ironed out. With DW, I don't worry. I'll be one of the first to order a 10mm CCO when they let us know we can.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts