1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,749 Posts
The crummy pics make it look like a re-Park, but it isn't. Did some early Colts have a HS barrel?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
" CLAWSON's Book says, for this S/N Range, there will not be a S/N stamped underneath the firing pin stop. I have further disassembled the Colt to reveal that the Firing Pin, Spring, Extractor & F.P. Stop are in mint condition and these photo's are at the end of the original photo's."

That must be Clausen's Pickle book, as Clawson's .45 book certainly doesn't say that.
He doesn't say it, but Colt was probably running low on barrels and grips and borrowed those from Remington Rand. They did it all the time.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
The crummy pics make it look like a re-Park, but it isn't. Did some early Colts have a HS barrel?
The Colt was shipped before Remington Rand even got into production. Colt sent barrels to Remington Rand to help them get started as High Standard couldn't furnish the barrels to Remington Rand for their first production runs.

·
Administrator
74,060 Posts
If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bull----.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Johnny, this is the same guy who had/was selling a pistol with a Colt slide which had an Ithaca font serial # in the duplication range of numbers coinciding with Colt's. He was hawking it as a complete Colt pistol. I sent you an email about it remember? Anyway, he is a nice guy as I've talked with him on the phone, however he is seriously mislead on a number of issues. He actually thinks all this is ok :eek: I told him he had an Ithaca pistol, plain and simple and he didn't buck the fact. I don't know if he ever sold it, it was on GB as well. I think someone has sold him several bags of tricks and he's just now figuring out whats up. If someone were to point out the fact that RR wasn't even in the .45 business when this pistol was (frame anyway) made, he might just see the light.

m

PS Speaking of insult to injury, how'bout these??

How can someone refinish a pistol and leave the feed ramp blue??? it seems so simple to go ahead and fake that too.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=145997130

A "dipped" slide... how rare is that!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=145513845

This makes this one's third year on Gun Broker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=146604841

And a question concerning another auction: doesn't this look like new phosphate over an old rust area??

The pistol is an early RR.... with a full (NEW YORK) marked slide.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Anyway, he is a nice guy as I've talked with him on the phone, however he is seriously mislead on a number of issues. If someone were to point out the fact that RR wasn't even in the .45 business when this pistol was (frame anyway) made, he might just see the light.
When he quotes information from Clawson that is simply wrong, he is the one doing the misleading. There is no confusion in Clawson's book as to when Colt discontinued the practice of serial numbering the slides to the receiver, and he is using misinformation for his own benefit. Clawson shows which grips are correct, and he shows which barrels are correct, so being mislead is not an excuse there. Since he goes to great length to explain the slide issue, I believe he knows exactly what he is doing.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ring, yes that certainly is a refinish over a pitted area. It didn't leave the factory like that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Did you ever notice that when a seller can not find enough good things to say about a gun he starts describing the general history of the gun and not honest useful information about the very item he is selling.

This seller goes on and on about production figures...bla....bla...bla. What about the gun? The gun you are selling? Why don't the numbers match?

It is a mixmaster. Nothing wrong with a mixmaster, just be honest about it and price it fairly.

The one thing he knows about are the high prices these bring although when you can buy an original matching numbered example for $2,000, his $3,490 buy-it-now is a real ripoff.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMO his opening price is too high if you know what your dealing with. I've scanned a lot of auctions and I think most of the sellers are just too high over all. I also noticed, most are not selling. So, it appears we have a stand off going on between buyers and sellers.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Also, the horsy is very thin, like that side of the slide has been worked down before park job. See how shallow, odd the dates/lettering look. What a clunker.:biglaugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts