1911Forum banner

How many times did you 'shoot' your recoil sping plug?

1523 19
How many times did you 'shoot' your recoil spring plug the first time you disassembled your Kimber?

I picked up my Kimber Custom yesterday. What a feeling. A two-tone beauty with walnut grips!

This is my first 1911. I followed the manual exactly but did not fully comprehend how much sping tension there was on the recoil spring. Zoom, the spring plug shoots past my head, richocheting off two walls before coming to rest right at my feet!

After a thorough cleaning I get to reinstall the plug and spring. As I try to seat the plug and set the barrel bushing Zooooom it shoots past my head again, hits two different walls and lands at my feet again! (Can't be a coincidence)

Next try, same thing.
Finally, I look carefully at the gun, the tool, and the barrel bushing. Ping! A light goes on inside my head and I see how easy it is to seat the plug so I can push the bushing home.

I was amazed how easy it was to disassemble the gun. Certainly much easier than my Ruger P87. The simplicity of design of the 1911 must be one of the reasons it has lasted so long.

The only change I made was to swap out the checkered walnut grips for some smooth Rosewood beauties. I know the purpose and functionality of the checkering -- I just like the feeling of the smooth ones on my hands...
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
I'm suprised more people aren't injured by the flying spring cap. Maybe it's a natural instinct to keep your head clear of the thing and natural selection sorts out the rest.

· Registered
136 Posts
spring woes

I've only done it twice with my Pro CDP, both times with the GR pointed in a safe direction.

The worst thing about it, is I notice I don't fire it across the room when it's dirty....it's always after I clean & lube it. Then, when I retrieve it from the dingy corner of the garage, it's got grime, dirt, hair etc. all over it and I have to do it over

/TCP

------------------
Measure Twice....Cut Once

· Registered
68 Posts
Had my kimber about 1.5 years and still do it occasionally!

Had to replace the plug once. The old one is somewhere in my workshop, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Dave

[This message has been edited by StuporDave (edited 11-20-2001).]

· Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by TCPilot:
spring woes

I've only done it twice with my Pro CDP...

/TCP

I thought the Pro Carry had a bull barrell and didn't have a bushing, eliminating the possibility of launching a plug across the room. Are you talking about the actual guide rod getting spit out? If so, I am really curious, because I don't want it to happen to mine

· Registered
143 Posts
i dont know about any other gun except my pro cdp. i followed the picture as well as the instructions for break down - the picture shows the break down tool in the guide rod before disassembly. the instructions say do it after. anyway i insert the pin in with the slide locked back. the i remove the slide like. slide the slide forward. no problems. then reassemble the same way. and remove the pin after it's all together and the slide locked back. for the times i take the spring off the rod. i just push the rod forward to compress the spring enough to remove the take down tool (after the slide is off the frame). then slowly release the tension. to re-assemble i put the spring plug in the slide. put the spring on the rod. rod into plug. push forward enough to put the take down tool in the hole.

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't get seem to use the tool to reseat the plug fully -- so I push the plug down until it is behind the bushing, turn the tool until the bushing slides past the lip of the plug. The plug is semi-secure at this point so I remove the tool, turn it around and use the other end to push the plug down carefully as I fully seat the bushing with my finger.

Originally posted by sreiter:
i dont know about any other gun except my pro cdp. i followed the picture as well as the instructions for break down - the picture shows the break down tool in the guide rod before disassembly. the instructions say do it after. anyway i insert the pin in with the slide locked back. the i remove the slide like. slide the slide forward. no problems. then reassemble the same way. and remove the pin after it's all together and the slide locked back. for the times i take the spring off the rod. i just push the rod forward to compress the spring enough to remove the take down tool (after the slide is off the frame). then slowly release the tension. to re-assemble i put the spring plug in the slide. put the spring on the rod. rod into plug. push forward enough to put the take down tool in the hole.

· Registered
143 Posts
what gunn do you have? - the cdp line doesnt have a bushing. the plug seats in the slide. no bushing around the barrel and plug

· Registered
136 Posts
Plug vs. GR Housing

What I MEANT to say, was not the plug, but the um...bushing? Housing? around the guide rod. Under pressure when used with the takedown tool, but if you want to disassemble the GR assembly, the tool has to come out....at which point, POW! Across the room goes the little retainer.

Sorry for the confusion, my Pro CDP does have a bull bbl. and no bushing per se.

/TCP

------------------
Measure Twice....Cut Once

· Registered
143 Posts
i leave the GR in the slide. push the GR forward enough to take the tool outta the hole. then just easy the GR. with the barrel still in the slide as well, i would think the GR couldnt get past the link

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW! a real pro. Do you have a technique you use? Do you practice at the range or just at home?

This is just a rumor mind you, but I heard that IDPA is considering adding a stage just for this skill.

(pardon the sarcasm -- it's just nice to see so many honest shooters...)

gary

Originally posted by REDDAWN:
BEEN shooting 1911's for 30 years. Still shoot the plug across the room. Don't feel bad,

· Registered
165 Posts
Had my new gun (pro eclipse II) about 30 minutes when I did it!!! I sure wasn't prepared for that! My other two have the bull barrels and no bushing. I guess it's a trade off. Lose a plug, or lose that damn little take down tool!!

------------------
God Bless America!!

Danny
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

· Registered
3 Posts
I just got mine yesterday - plain 'ole Custom. After "shooting" the plug a few times I figured out the solution. The gun is a lot less likely to go flying than the plug.

To take down:
Lay the plug wrench on a hard flat surface. Lay the muzzle of the gun onto said surface with the bushing through the wrench. Push gun down, turn gun (or move wrench). When the plug comes free, Lift gun slowly. As it comes up, grab the plug and hold it as you lift the gun free.

To reassemble:
More or less the reverse. Put the plug on the protruding spring. Lay the plug on the side of the wrench (which is laying on a flat surface). Push the gun down with one hand, holding the plug with the other. It can't go flying.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.