1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard alot of praise from Charles Daly owners and bashing from Wilson and Bauer owners. The Daly owners sounds pretty pleased, if not impressed.

Here's the real question... do you/would you trust your Daly with your life? Would you carry it as your CCW/SHTF?

I'm interested because I'm looking to acquire a 1911 (on a tight budget) and like the look and feel of CD

Thanks!

·
Banned
65 Posts
I am getting to the point that I would use it for CCW.
During the first two hundred rounds, I had some failures to extract. I finally narrowed it down to a magazine and ammo thing.
Once I got the right ammo [Blazer], stuck with the supplied mags,
changed recoil spring to 18.5 and extractor to Ed Brown, it has been flawless for 600 rounds!
I did not have to change the springs and extractor but did, having read numerous postings that it would pay big dividends.
This CAN be a good gun, out-of-the-box or it may need just a little tuning. But then again, so can a Kimber!
Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a CD 1911MS and I do use it as my off duty and CCW.
I have shot several hundred rounds though it and the only issues have been mag issues. Replaced those with Meggar 8 rd and have had no more problems. I would highly recommend the CD.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yep, sure would. I have two, a two tone compact (ECS), and a full size (EFS). I don't carry the EFS simply because it is harder to conceal than the ECS. I also own a Colt LW commander, which never comes out of the safe because the ECS is so easy to conceal, and actually shoots a tighter group.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input guys. Sounds like it could be hit or miss with any manufacturer you choose. Atleast the general bashing seems to be based more on prejudice rather than experience.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have had my EFS for about over a year. I had to adjust the front sight a bit to get POA. Other than that I have had 0 problems.
CD does has a lifetime warrentee if you run into problems though.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Its not my carry gun, 'coz I can't but....

My CD is my limited 10 gun for USPSA, it hasn't failed me in competition (yet?). I have it for 3.5 years now with good service. Well worth what I paid for it. :)

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Sounds like it could be hit or miss with any manufacturer you choose. Atleast the general bashing seems to be based more on prejudice rather than experience.

That is one of the most intellegent observations you can make concerning web forums. Those who bash the loudest seem to have the least (if not any) experience with the subject being bashed. This applies to calibers, models, manufactures, or what ever else the subject at hand may be.

As far as manufacturers, they all pretty much make a good product. Yes, bad ones do slip out the door from time to time, How they handle those problems is far more important than any thing else.
1911 pistols that need a little "tweaking" out of the box to run properly are not uncommon, especially given the variety of ammo out there. What many don't understand is that the high dollar "target" or "match" level guns are often more finicky than guns costing hundreds less because they are built to tighter tolerances. Service grade or "entry " level guns often fuction better right out of the box, but don't group quite as accurately.(But certainly well enough for a CCW)
I do not own a Charles Daly, but I have shot and handled them, and they seem like fine guns for the money. Whatever brand you decide on, my advice is to shoot the heck out of it, at least 500-750 rounds, before you render judgement. Many "problems" you encounter may disappear during this breakin period, after this point you can decide if your gun needs any additional "tweaking" to make it run better.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I trust mine NOW

I trust mine now after shooting it about 800 rounds to get everything broken in/seated in well enough to tell if certain parts need to be replaced with better ones. I definitely changed the magazines as they were JUNK right from the box. Checked the extractor tension and cleaned the tunnel as it was packed with dried grease and had to be hammered out. My smith had to drill out the tunnel a bit as it was out of spec. Changed the recoil spring and firing pin spring for better ones along with a better barrel. With all that done I had my smith bevel all the sharp edges and replace the sights. I wentt ahead and shot it out again and NOW seems to be a reliable pistol that I would carry in the field anytime. Yes the pistol was raw to say the least but with work it can become a trusted friend. This is my first CD.

·
Registered
58 Posts
BGriffith,

I have a question for you. When you installed your Ed Brown extractor in your Charles Daley, did you just drop it in or did you "tune" it first?

·
Banned
65 Posts
domzilla9--
It was tuned correctly as sent, to my surprise. I did the tension test using an empty cartridge tied via thread to a Coke bottle with 18 oz of water in it. Tested OK and works well. I did notice a little rotation or "clocking" of the extractor that I intend to correct in the future using an oversized firing pin stop.

Also, see the Extractor posting in this CD forum, just posted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
like the look and feel of CD

Buy it!!!

Great pistol for the money!!! Yes I trust mine (if I didn't I would not still own it) and carry it every day. That is I rotate it with my 70 series Gold Cup & my Black Stainless SA Loaded.

All 3 have been changed from stock to Wolf springs (recoil, firing pin & hammer) to suit my liking and all 3 perform flawlessly and are as accurate as I am. I carry them them in a Sparks Summer Special so I put a Wilson standard slide stop on the Daly, in place of the extended, as the holster is not boned for it.

Other than that no modifications, the Daly performs very well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have an MS...been at least 3 or so years now...couldn't tell you how many thousands of rounds have been through it...My primary CCW from october to march...any questions?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have a compact model Daly and yes I would trust my life to it. I regularly carry it when off duty and have put a little over a thousand rounds through it since I first purchased it. I'm here to warn you though, the break in period was a BEAR!!!!!! I was about ready to give up on it all together before I put a little stiffer guide rod spring in it and went to Wilson mags for it. Now it works and shoots like a champ!!!! I couldn't be happier with a gun that I spent several hundred more on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:barf:
some folk like them (good for them).
all i can say is i managed 48 rounds down range from a compact cd (brand new) before the reverse bushing brke apart and ended my day at the range on a sour note....

my advice spend a little more and save yourself some possible headaches.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
one-shot-one said:
:barf:
some folk like them (good for them).
all i can say is i managed 48 rounds down range from a compact cd (brand new) before the reverse bushing brke apart and ended my day at the range on a sour note....

my advice spend a little more and save yourself some possible headaches.
Good thing it was a CD and not a Colt (less $$$$). :D
That is a common trait with 1911's with <4" of barrel. It is very common with Colt's et al.. to have that thing happen (FTF's too). I think a 1911 with <4" of barrel is never a good combo. I stay away from them, regardless of brand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts