1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to one of the more famous Nashville TN gun shops today because I received an e-mail from them advertising they had .45 ammo in stock. No prices givenin e-mail. This is some of what they had when I arrived.
Wolf 230gr 14.95 box of 50
UMC 230gr fmj 22.95 box of 50
One other brand maybe Winchester white box 230gr fmj 24.95 box of 50

Does this seem steep to you? I decided to pass but other people were buying it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Those prices are definitely steep. Especially the wolf ammo. That stuff should be 50% cheaper than that. The range I shoot at has the white box at 13. Dont know about UMC now, but I have paid around 16 or so once before. Don't like that stuff anyways.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oneminute,
Those prices should be illegal. At the local sports store here they are $13.50 for 50 rds of both American Eagle and Winchester White Box. This is even expensive compared to several online companies that sell ammo.

------------------

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Blazer ammo from Natchez costs me right at $165 per 1000 and the ammo works fine in my guns. The cases are not reloadable, but they aren't that bizarre lacquered stuff like Wolf uses either.

$24.95 sounds really high for a box of ammo. Heck, from Cheaper Than Dirt you can get a 50 round box of 230 gr Hydrashoks for $17 (plus tax and/or shipping) and that comes out to less that $19 a box for me even with tax and shipping here in Texas.

If you want quality brass factory ammo, I would suggest going with Fiocchi. Ammoman.com has it right now for $199 per 1000, shipped. The brass is great for reloading. Or, if you just want brassed ammo, go with S&B.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by dpetteys:
I pretty much always shoot white box winchester, I get it for $9.95 /box at Galyan's a chain sporting goods store.
Same here. You can't beat that price for Winchester at any local store and you can't even find that price through mail-order. If you do, you end up paying more with shipping costs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Galyans has Winchester White box 230 grn FMJ for $10. I also picked up a case (500) of 185 grn Win white box for $100 out the door at my local club. Wednesday I bought the last 500 round case of Wolf for $65 at a local reloading shop.

Sounds to me like there's a little price gouging going on in Nashville. I'll check prices at the 1500 next weekend. I'm sure they'll be up from last time.

·
Registered
645 Posts
For practice ammo I use 230 gr. FMJ from the Houston Cartridge Company for $8.98 per box of 50. I usually pick it up at the local gun show to save shipping cost but if I must order through the mail, it makes it to my door in three days.

MadDog

·
Registered
329 Posts
Maddog,
I use the Houston Cartridge ammo also. I've been very pleased with his ammo. Haven't ordered thru the mail yet but I may have to soon if I don't make it to a show soon. Nelson

·
Registered
454 Posts
Originally posted by oneminute:
I went to one of the more famous Nashville TN gun shops today because I received an e-mail from them advertising they had .45 ammo in stock. No prices givenin e-mail. This is some of what they had when I arrived.
Wolf 230gr 14.95 box of 50
UMC 230gr fmj 22.95 box of 50
One other brand maybe Winchester white box 230gr fmj 24.95 box of 50

Does this seem steep to you? I decided to pass but other people were buying it.
ok here is a rule to follow in this day
and age of 45acp, never pay more than 10.00 a box of 50 in 230gn. that is just
the truth. i have seen lawman, fiochi'
umc, win white, pmc, best shot, and the
dreded wolf for 10.00 or less at one
time or another you just got to shop.
do mail order. just walk away when they
post those punk prices cause thats what
they are saying, your a punk or they
dont know where to shop. i hate gougers.
honest people deserve a fair price and
even a deal if you shop for it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Oneminute -

Steep? Those prices are more than twice what you should be paying. If you can't find those brands for $10.00 per box of 50 then you should be buying your ammo through the mail.

MadDog

·
Registered
552 Posts
I keep reading about a store named "Galyans". Where are these stores located? I have never heard of them. As far as .45cal for $10.00 a box, can't find that either. The local Walmart here went from reasonable to way expensive lately. Over $16.00 for most brands and calibers. I couldn't believe my eyes when I went there last Sunday. The best price for .45cal was the Winchester 230gr at $13.49 plus tax for one box. Can't find 357mag at all so I ordered 500 rounds from the ammoman. Plus most web sites I visited are out of stock on the popular calibers. Just wondering......
nod

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Galyans around here has the Winchester "white box" for $10 but if you buy 10 boxes you save 10%, making it $9 a box. Best buy I've found for ammo that shoots reliably.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Galyan's is a big chain sporting goods and outdoor store. I don't know how many stores they have though, I live in Minneapolis and there are a couple enormous stores in the Twin Cities. I'll have to do a little research.

I have occasionally gotten a case from them for $9 a box too, but it doesn't seem to be store policy, it's just a matter of getting the right salesman.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
jra, if you'll e-mail me the name of that salesman and the number to the store, I'd be real happy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Let me know that store's name. I have some avid shooting buddies in the Nashville area and will be down there next month.

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks dpetteys for answering my question. After I thought about it, I did a search for Galyans and found there are no stores in Florida. There are a couple in Georgia.
Thanx, nod

1 - 20 of 30 Posts