1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what is different between series 1 and other kimbers

I have a kimber series 1 custom classic with rosewood grips made in 1996 s/n k005xxx matte blue 98% condition just wondered what it was worth i 'm not trying tell sell it on this forum but a friend is interested in it, just trying to see if it was worth more than i thought before i say a price, i was told the series 1 have become more desirable because of quality ? any explanation on this would be appriciated thanks

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Motor

Since Kimber is still a relatively new company values are a bit hard to pin down. I suggest that you look at Guns America, or the other on line site to see what the4 bidding is like on similar pistols. Another option is to take your pistol to a few local gun tores and ask them for an insurance valuation. A third option is to go to several pawn shops to see what they have on the shelf and take an average from that.

Though in the long run the real determining factor will be, do both you and your friend feel that you are getting a fair price. If yes, then you are both right. If not, then the deal should not take place.

Concerning desirability, yes the Series 1 pistols are a bit more desirable, particularly the Clackamas pistols. But locally I can't say there is a great premium over a Series II. My favorite gun shop has both a Series I Stainless Gold Combat and Stainless Gold Match and I think they are both over priced at roughly $1,200. Which is very close to the prices they have asked for new Series II pistols of the same model.

The question you need to ask yourself, and your friend also is, how much more are you willing to pay for a Series I pistol over a comparable Series II in the same condition. Also, what difference in price relative to a new pistol are you willing to pay.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Str8shot,

By chance, are you talking about the two Series I Kimbers in the case at Bullseye? Found another in the case at Wade's; Pro Carry that's been lightly customized for $1000. While my 'yikes' factor spiked, so did my 'hmmmm' factor. I'll go check it out again today.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
I paid $440 for my Clackamas (s/n 56xx) in 2002. I'm sure you could get a couple hundred more these days IF the gun is in good shape and not hacked.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I see a lot of high price tags, but I am not sure they are selling at those high prices. I think they either sit in cases for a long time or get traded out. A S1 custom classic around here might get 700 - 750. Now that the S2 models seem to be working fine, I think the S1s are losing a bit of the premium pricing over the S2s.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Add at least $200 for the Clackamas rollmark over an early Yonkers basic Kimber. They are becoming very collectible.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Str8shot,

By chance, are you talking about the two Series I Kimbers in the case at Bullseye? Found another in the case at Wade's; Pro Carry that's been lightly customized for $1000. While my 'yikes' factor spiked, so did my 'hmmmm' factor. I'll go check it out again today.
Riceboy

Yes, I was referring to the pistols at Bulls Eye. They are nice, but not quite nice enough for me to agree with the price. Though the Gold Combat may be more worth the price since Dave Helton has done some work on that one.

·
Registered
891 Posts
for the new guns base mod starts off at $750 thats for a new in box Kimber
If you are referring to a Custom II, that is awful high compared to what I'm used to seeing($585.00 NIB), I can buy a NIB Super Match II for $1450.00, I guess it's like someone else said, it depends on the area.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Depends on if they're quoting suggested retail or actual selling prices. If your dealer is quoting SRP, run and never go back.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Plain Jane Custom II SRP $795.00

Someone above same gun $750.00

My dealer same gun $585.00, I'm not running anywhere but back for future purchases!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
How much is it worth? My friend, it is priceless. My Series I isn't for sale at any price.
Nor either of mine. They are here to stay, and any others that I can find at a reasonable price, which I think for a stock gun should run $600-750. I saw a PreSeries II full size stainless at the last gunshow for $600 and it looked good. I didn't have the cash, but if it's there this Saturday...............

I won't buy a Series II. I've never owned one, so I won't comment on them, and I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but with all of the bad press about the Schwartz safety, I'm just not willing to gamble hard earned money on the chance that I'll get a good one. There are just too many proven reliable firearms for sale out there..

Okay, where are the 100 guys that are going to say "Mine works perfect"?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Paid $430 for my Series 1 classic recently at a dealer. Good shape low rounds with some carry wear.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
AZ Husker, that being said, would a Kimber with a Clackamas rollmark lose value to collectors, if customized? I had mine hard chromed, and handcut 25 lpi checkering front and back. I bought it soon after they came out, and soon after had it worked on. I'm not planning on selling mine, just wondering.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2261645405/

Add at least $200 for the Clackamas rollmark over an early Yonkers basic Kimber. They are becoming very collectible.

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
It would affect the price to collectors, but you've greatly increased it's value as a shooter with your improvements. Shoot it and enjoy the gun that started it all!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have part of the same question. Don't mean to thread jack but how does one know if they have a series I??

I bought my ss compact Pro CDP about 10 years ago. It has the internal extractor and doesn't say series anything. Left side says custom shop. Trigger just has two slots and it has the rosewood grips and aluminum frame.

Mfg. in Yonkers and serial # is KR142xx. Never had a problem with this gun but do have the indentation from the split follower. Just ordered some Wilson's to prevent more damage. Any info would be helpful.

Btw, I'd buy another but never seen them for sale....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The Series II's have the firing pin safety, and possibly the external extractor.
Yours is probably pre Series II. Lock the slide back, turn the gun upside down and look for a spring loaded plunger towars the rear of the slide. That would be the firing pin stop..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts