1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend said I could shoot at his house but I want to make sure it's going to be ok and safe. We would be shooting 22/22LR, and .45. There is a BIIIIIIIIIGGGG long field. Not sure how big is big enough though. It is also semi near a highway. We would be shooting paralel obviously, but I didn't know if there was some stupid law about discharging firearms too near the highway. Also what makes a cheap, effective backstop for shooting? Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Legalities vary from state to state, county to county. In my state, I know of one county where you can't fire a gun anywhere that isn't a range, even though you may be out in the woods. Another county, you can shoot anywhere as long as you're a certain distance off the highway (hundred yards or something). I'd call the local PD that is near where you want to shoot and ask. As for safe backdrops, if you know somebody that has a tractor you can always dig up some earth and make your own. Other than that I'm afraid to guess wrong.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
As suggested, call your local authorities and find out FOR SURE, instead of taking the advice of people who don't even know where you live.

·
Registered
146 Posts
According to my CCW class instructor, in Ohio you need to own 10 acres of land to shoot legally on your property. That is if you are outside of city limits. I don't know if this is correct or not, I haven't researched it.

There may be laws similiar to this elsewhere. As the other suggested, contact local authorities and find out for sure.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
shane45-1911 said:
As suggested, call your local authorities and find out FOR SURE, instead of taking the advice of people who don't even know where you live.

Where's the fun in that? :D :D

I believe Federal law (which always trumps State law, except in the rare case a local or township ordinance may override both Federal and State law, or on days that begin with the letter "T", like Tuesday, Thursday, Today and Tomorrow) states that you can shoot on private and non-private property from one hour after sunrise until one hour before sunset as long as you have at least a BIIIIIGG long field and you are pretty far away from a highway. In the original post, the field is defined as being "a BIIIIIIIIIGGGG long field" which should be okay, but since it is "semi near a highway", I would suggest you contact your local LE just to make sure.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a "licensed" attorney, but I have had nachos at Wal-Mart and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express (whatever all that means).

·
Registered
735 Posts
seldon14 said:
(1) It is also semi near a highway. We would be shooting paralel obviously, but I didn't know if there was some stupid law about discharging firearms too near the highway. (2) Also what makes a cheap, effective backstop for shooting?
(1) Don't think the law would be stupid!

(2) Dirt.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
One thing to watch for, I have known several people target shooting that were cited for "road hunting" because they were too close to a public road.

ranburr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts