1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks:

I was at the range today, shot about 300 rounds and was wondering, how much time do you usually wait between each clip(7 rounds)? I usually shoot two clips, reload, wait about 1-2 minutes, and off it goes. THe barrel gets hot but not untouchable.

I 'm just curious how much a stainless steel barrel can take rapid fire, since I'm trying to not ruin my barrel.

Nick

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmmm, actually I usually don't think about it. I've fired off four ten round magazines and two eight rounders in rapid fire... never had a problem with that.

Of course, I don't shoot like that all the time, but I usually do some fast shooting at least once each range session.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I usually shoot three to four magazines and then switch to my other 1911, repeat. This gives one of the guns time to cool off before I heat her up again. :cool:

I actually had a concern the first time I shot my new Kimber. It got so HOT that I think I could have received second degree burns if I kept my hand too long on the slide. :eek:

The next time I took this Kimber to the range it got probably about half as hot as the first time. I wonder if it was a break-in issue or something because it doesn't seem to get too hot at all now? :scratch:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used to have the "over heat" problem when I first purchased my TLE/II SS. I put 200 rounds in within a 30 minutes period (during the first trip to the range), trying to "break-in" fast. The pistol - not only the slide and barrel, but everything (including the grip) was hot to the touch.

I talked to Kimber Tech support and was told that I was "over doing" it. Afterward more shooting and cleaning, I did not experience that problem anymore (including 200 rounds in 30 minutes).

On the other hand, I am loading up 2 - 10 rounds and 2 - 8 rounds magazine and go for it at the range. Afterwards I take a break while I am reloading. I see that is a good practice, at least for me (and not a problem for the hardware).

Of course - IMHO. :)

·
Administrator
13,302 Posts
how much time to you all give between each clip?
I don't purposely wait . I may need to change targets , adjust sights , range cease fire , etc . Otherwise , I wait as long as it takes to reload :)
I've never detected any problems caused by the pistol getting hot . It's not an issue imo .

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
The pistol getting hot was not much to worry about when they military was conducting their testing. They'd shoot until the pistol got to hot to handle and dunk it in a bucket of water.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
200 rounds is too much in a half hour...hummm....thought the pistol was hard use tool.

I don't make a habit of it, but I have run my pistols to the point of the point the frame is too hot to handle. There seems to have been no adverse affects.

Don't sweat the little stuff...SHOOT HANDGUN enjoy

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
i'm in the haven't thought about it crew. i usually load up three mags, shoot them rapid fire, sometimes slow fire.....set the gun down....reload the mags and go at it again. the gun gets warm/hot, but not enough to bother me.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well, I've seen machine gun/rifle bbls glow a dull red with no damage, so IMO my pistol bbl that is too hot to touch is not that big of a deal. (not that I'm saying glowing red bbls are good or anything...)

BTW Garands have clips, but 1911s, AR's, M-14s etc... use magazines...

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I have alot of mags loaded up when I get to the range, I run through them pretty quickly. After that I'll load up one or two at a time, giving me a short break in between. I've had slides hot enough that it wasn't comfortable to touch for long.

Weather makes a big difference, on a hot, sunny, summer day my pistols warm up rather quickly.

I try not to work my pistols too hard, but I'm not really worried about it.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
guy sajer said:
I don't purposely wait . I may need to change targets , adjust sights , range cease fire , etc . Otherwise , I wait as long as it takes to reload :)
I've never detected any problems caused by the pistol getting hot . It's not an issue imo .
Ditto here, gun gets hot but I keep on shootin -- only rest is between reloading the magazines (not clips). I usually shoot 4 magazines then reload.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
guy sajer said:
I wait as long as it takes to reload :)
Yup.

I have no qualms about running ~100 rounds in less than 30 seconds... The only time I'll intentionally let my gun cool is when my comp burns my leg... because that friggin' HURTS!!! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
270winchester said:
Hey folks:

I was at the range today, shot about 300 rounds and was wondering, how much time do you usually wait between each clip(7 rounds)? I usually shoot two clips, reload, wait about 1-2 minutes, and off it goes. THe barrel gets hot but not untouchable.

I 'm just curious how much a stainless steel barrel can take rapid fire, since I'm trying to not ruin my barrel.

Nick
Nick,

Barrel heat is something I don't worry about. I just take my time when firing as ammo cost so much these days I want to make my rounds count. No one should machine gun their pistol.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Usually take 2-3 mags, but generally only load 1 at a time. I have run as many as 8 in a row with only long enough to do a mag change. And YES it was TOOOO hot to touch whan I was done, but I haven't seen any damage. Like others, never thought about it. Tracy

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
270Winchester,

You need to go to a gunschool for a class. They will keep you running so fast
the only indication of how much you have shot is how hot your pistol is.
I shoot 'em til they get damn hot almost every time. And these aren't junk
pistols. I am talking about $2500 custom 1911s.

I tell my pistols the same thing every time I close the safe, "You earned your
keep for one more day."

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
199 Posts
I typically shoot 500 rounds in a practice session, usual time is 1 ½ to 2 hours, this includes loading mags, and picking up brass, I have no problem doing ten bill drills in a row 15,000 rounds + just this year, and no sign of any harm, and I drive my gun as hard as I can {Wilson combat} or no since in having it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts